Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

How long will be it be until the bar examiners do something similar with the bar exam? Right now, a lot of states require specific software with a bring your own device, so long as it meets a series of restrictions, approach, but it would be technically much simpler to have a single approved hardware and software package.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me the weakest part of the go is the battery life, and the LTE version, if you use the LTE at all ,gives it a substantial
    further hit.

I've made peace with that fact that its a beat or two slower than my surface pro 4 was because the size, weight and hand friendliness more than compensate. It's the closes yet I've gotten to my "digital trapper keeper"

4. desertlap

So @Steve S pointed me to a potential rugged case for the go (thanks again by the way) and it finally arrived today

https://incipio.com/cases/tablet-ca...epperjam&clickId=2538942516&publisherId=21181

Well looks wise, its the Stone Cold Steve Austin of go cases. Very bulked up and tough looking and heavy.
    Can't really tell how rugged it actually is, but it looks like it could be used for an oversized shuffleboard puck.

Also, pretty much forget about using any accessories such as USB with it. It recesses the ports so much that only one usb cable I have fits.

I guess I'll see how it does in the high desert in January.

5. desertlap

AND BTW: Amazon is now actively sabotaging their own admittedly deprecated Kindle Windows Store app. I stupidly updated some books in my library and the Kindle Windows store app now can't open them.

Called Amazon and they confirmed and suggested either Cloud Reader or the regular PC app and the PC app is just awful IMHO:mad:

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. E90 Commie

E90 Commie Pen Pal - Newbie

I would recommend a better solution, which could be described as "take control over your own E-books using the appropriate Calibre plugin for reading in any E-reader". I have a lot of Kindle books but all of them are converted to regular EPUB in order to avoid this kind of issues (i.e. proprietary E-book client doesn't work well on platform X).

I haven't researched this yet but it would be nice with recommendations regarding good Windows E-reader similar to MoonReader, i.e. support for EPUB and PDF (together with some other formats) offering a bookshelf view.

MoonReader is excellent but is Android only at this time and is way better than the Kindle app (also the Android version).

Edit: It seems like Calibre is the obvious go-to choice for everything E-book related on the Go. So it seems like the search for the best E-reader for Windows is already done for me.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    dellaster and lovelaptops like this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Care to recommend an easy convert-to-EPUB utility?

9. E90 Commie

E90 Commie Pen Pal - Newbie

There is an excellent "deDRM" plugin for Calibre that can convert Kindle ebooks to regular EPUB. I use it for my ebooks and it is excellent. All my Nook and Kindle books are now in Calibre and MoonReader where they can be read without any annoyances caused by proprietary clients.

Chris_Kez and lovelaptops like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, here goes...I am stepping off the rollercoaster.

The last few months I've been frantically in search of the perfect solution, and my reply about "how to do a quick setup" just drove it home that I was wasting too much time, energy, and stress for no reason.

I've been testing the iPad Pro 11 alongside the Surface Go LTE. A Microsoft customer service rep agreed to reset my return date on the Type Cover to the date for the Surface Go (even he thought getting it pre-shipped for a non-existent device was a bit overkill), so I've been able to use both while reflecting on my behavior and experiences. I've also reflected on all my conflicting needs, impulsiveness, and what I really need to get done with my electronic gadgets.

The answer is the Surface Go LTE:
    • perfect form factor
    • Windows 10 Pro with a REAL file system
    • good WiFi and 4g LTE performance
    • expandable storage
    • full Office 365
    • great keyboard with backlight
    • good docking solution
    • good (if not speedy) performance
    • good screen (size is a bit small)
    • adequate battery life (at best a half day per charge though)
    • S Pen is good, but distant third to Wacom EMR and Apple Pencil
    No more chasing a perfect solution. I'm going to check out for a while...will be lurking around and watching the tribe, but I'm tired of straining after the last molecule of performance, the perfect solution that doesn't exist. I'm going to bend the Surface Go to my use case, whatever that may be, and maybe bending the use case a little as well.

Wish me luck, and have a very happy holiday season.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018