Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well based on my experience with my new go with LTE, battery life is now the Achilles heel with this thing.
    For comparison with my personal go I was able to get about 6-8 hours of use per charge (which usually includes a lot of tethering to my iPhone) which was enough given my typical day.
    Using the go with LTE with I was barely able to get 4 hours before the battery gave up the ghost. Based on what a couple of people that have Surface Pro 2017 with LTE have observed t a similar drop in battery life compared to without LTE.

So I hope that the rumors/speculation that a WOS surface possibly with this chip is true.

Especially since by comparison I got two whole days of use with the Samsung Galaxy Book two with LTE and still had about 25% battery left

Bronsky likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:vbconfused::vbeek::vbconfused::vbfrown::vbconfused::vbrolleyes:

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hmmmmm...I don't know how rapid that is...
    • I keep all of my essential documents and forms in the Windows Documents directory, and keep it backed up to the mSDXC card, which is the key to the resets. I also export my Office app custom ribbons to this card (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook).
    • The mSDXC card (you could do this with a thumb drive, but then it's not an install and go solution) contains all other data files I use on at least a weekly basis.
    • I start with installing all updates to the new device, and setting up wired and wireless networking (including cellular)
    • Next off to my Office.com account. I have a business level account, and I install the entire Office Suite, then open each application and import the customized ribbons.
    • Start up Outlook and install my office email account and let it start the long sync (about 3gb +/-)
    • Point OneNote towards my business SharePoint directory to load my notes. If I ever get to a one device solution the notebooks will be relocated to the mSDXC drive and no more cloud sync
    • Then I copy the backup of the "Documents" directory on the mSDXC card to the C: drive
    • Last comes Chrome - yes, I know it is a resource hog and can gum up the works, but I have years of customized bookmarks, especially for legal research - including for quick searches in Lexis (and before that Westlaw)
    As you can see it is time consuming, but I never take down the predecessor until the successor is set to go. Also, a lot of this installation is on a start and go back to work basis as the tedious work goes on - no need to sit and monitor the installs. The biggest thing is to follow the same routine each time and it moves along in a fairly smooth and semi-autonomous manner.

It does get to be a stickier problem if the new device does not have a mSDXC slot, because then you have to do it as an external drive and slow file transfer instead of just plug it in the slot and go.

After reading this, I imagine everyone will hold onto their systems for at least five years to avoid the hassle.

thierryb and dellaster like this.
  4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Your machines are BYOD then? That's lot of steps for a production machine, isn't it? I'm wondering if your work/company IT will support your PCs via Active Directory -> Login Credentials = Ready for work. At the same time, instruct IT to set up a standard user account for your personal needs. I find that separating business and personal user accounts on the same machine beneficial for my own state of mind.

6. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad it worked for you.
    I hope you got it to work. I should have mentioned that the password doesn't work but generates a one time password sent to your email. I forgot about that.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If that's true, the Wacom Smart pen might be a solution. It can switch between MS and AES formats. Nice to see other phones follow Samsung. But, the note series and its spen are still king in my book.

It would be interesting to see Huawei add a pen like this to a folding unit.

Tams, nnthemperor and kneehowguys like this.
  9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I was at the MS store on Friday to look at the Go LTE (again) and the Galaxy Book2 to replace a S3 LTE. I really only need to run Office 365 and apps from the Store on this machine so Win 10S isn't a problem for me. In fact, Windows RT, WM, an Android Tablet would have worked; I was considering the Tab S4. I didn't go with the ipad as I'm forced to use an iPhone for work and don't like it. The ipad's biggest downfall for me is it lacks a real file system so was always cumbersome.

Bought the Book2 and I'm happy with it after a first day of usage at a job site over the weekend. Using Office 365 in multiple tabs on EDGE works fine even switching between desktop office apps and Office 365 portal, no speed issues. Battery is really terrific. One problem is the device seems to be locked to AT&T and I'm having problems with other SIMs. The S-Pen that comes with it is like a kids giant crayon; I don't like it. So far, the reviews have pegged the Book2 as sluggish but I think they miss the target users; as a full PC maybe it is but as an Office 365 pc, always connected, it works very well. Haven't used oneNote yet so I can't say how well the digitizer works.

As a comparison on battery life, my SP5 would have been out of gas by the end of the day, this PC has more than seven hours left on it.

Didn't go with the SG because it wasn't giving me that much more than my current S3; SG has a smaller, non-HD screen and with less battery life seemed more of a downgrade for my use. I'll see if the Book2 holds up over the next week or two. From how it looks now, Samsung got this right.

10. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You feel that EMR 6.3 inch with silo > 7.2 inch with big AES pen?

I have a GN8- for me at least the pen isn't getting much mileage. Probably because easy to find a desk + easy to carry around a tablet in a backpack or something.