Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How is screen clip shotting on the ipad?

How is the OneNote experience on the ipad?

If these are good, I might do the same route

2. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Movies depend on persistence of vision. They flash a series of pictures fast enough to simulate motion. Computers switch tasks fast enough to simulate simultaneous processing.

It just occurred to me that if Dale swaps machines fast enough, it’ll be like he has all of the machines at once.

He can overcome the shortcomings of any one device by swapping between devices at a high rate. It will appear as if he has multiple devices.

The trick is figuring out the refresh rate required...

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I will open a thread over in the Apple forum later tonight to start evaluation. One thing I’ve been totally blown away by was VPN performance. I can connect, browse to our NAS, move between folders and open documents faster than the Surface Go, GB12, Surface Pro 4, and even my SB2. It is unbelievable how fast it is browsing our whole database. Now temper this with FileBrowser being a faint version of File Explorer. But I am amazed at the VPN performance.

I would give an arm for a trackpad or mouse...

UPDATE - the SB2 is working as fast as the iPP 11 - so I'd call it a tie between them, and faster VPN than all the rest.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Just make sure you don't give the arm that you use for mousing..

5. dstrauss

You just post away - not one to walk away from another challenge (as I sit here posting on the SB12 but reading NatGeo on the iPP11...

6. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

If your firm uses Citrix Receiver, you can get the Bluetooth Citrix mouse that works with the iPad (but only in Receiver). I’ve logged into my firm a couple of times on my iPad and it’s a pretty cool experience in a device that small and thin (last gen iPad Pro). The mouse can be a tad laggy though.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

So back to your comment about applications on Go...

What do you do with documents on your NAS after you browse them? Do you use Word to edit? Or something else to annotate?

And to be clear, the iPP is going to be a two device solution.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

What about the lack of a kickstand? Keyboard? If you get one of the crappy origami keyboards, how are you better off than with the GB12? I predict this will be one of the shortest-lived of your changes. Of course the IPP is fast - that and a great screen - and, I admit, pencil now - are what it has going for it - but it is lacking in so many other areas a knowledge worker needs for support. I think you are being seduced by the Apple sales pitch and focusing on the things it does well, ignoring the things it is so poorly suited for. And at such an outrageously high price. I repeat, in what way is this better than the GB12 for your "small solution?"

EDIT: I'm not arguing that the SG will do the job - you have to decide on that - just that the iPP sounds like a terrible alternative for a man who works primarily with words and the production and management of documents. Sounds like helluva place on earth to me

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Are you getting the idea your colleagues do not see this as one of your brainier moves? See you when you come back from that iPP thread you're starting. :hi:

(As for the "amazingly fast VPN browsing," I guess I can relate: web browsing is so much faster on my Pixelbook than on any other computer in existence, same for simple PDF browsing/editing, Word/Excel files, etc, so I now use it over 75% of the time.) I also relate to the instant/on, no security patches, completely fluid touchscreen - and glass-smooth mouse browsing (my arm is safe!), etc. Still, I never go anywhere without a "real" computer at hand; it's easy to get sucked into something which does some things amazingly well and leaves you high and dry for some of the most important things - like One Note in the case of the Pixelbook. (How is One Note on the IPP?

EDIT: It's bad enough you use an inferior phone because your kids have you kidnapped with iMess-up-messaging; you do know that if it's an Apple solution, it's evil, right? :vbeek:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    nnthemperor likes this.
  10. dstrauss

I'l carry this discussion over to the Apple thread this weekend - but quick answers are:

Use Word iOS to edit by keyboard or pen...works pretty good...not as simple as pulling it into SG through File Explorer, but the pen is much better than SG. Yes, it is a two device solution, but that's why I kept the SB2 for heavy multi-document sessions.

• No kickstand, but SmartKeyboard has a solid flat bottom so works on your lap as well, if not better, than kickstand and type cover
    • Number 2 Pencil is MUCH better than Surface Pen - say 80% of Wacom EMR - better friction on screen with pen tapping lowered a coupe of db
    • Jury out on iPP11 vs GB12, and may still be my ultimate solution
    • I really miss Kindle and Texture (Kindle Cloud + Edge is pretty much a kludge of a solution)
    • Battery life is awesome - arrived at 99% charge, set up, installed apps, used OneNote for about 20-30 minutes and still at 92%
    • Cellular performance, at same location, is superior to SG LTE
    • SG LTE is as close as we'll get to a WinPad, and it was just too pokey for full time use in my practice - my attitude adjustment left much to be desired
    • Miss the Type Cover backlight
    • Prefer the iPP11 screen already
    • With all my Windows apps loaded up, it's a pretty good solution (Word, Excel, PowerPointless, OneNote, Outlook)
    • OneNote iOS is better than the OneNote that comes with Office 365 - both still pale in comparison to OneNote 2016
    • Quoting @lovelaptops "(As for the "amazingly fast VPN browsing," I guess I can relate: web browsing is so much faster on my Pixelbook than on any other computer in existence, same for simple PDF browsing/editing, Word/Excel files, etc, so I now use it over 75% of the time.) I also relate to the instant/on, no security patches, completely fluid touchscreen - and glass-smooth mouse browsing (my arm is safe!), etc."
    Didn't fall for marketing spiel - I know the Apple reality distortion field all too well. I'm not approaching this test drive as a laptop replacement but as a tablet that can get me by if I don't hoss the big iron to the house or client office. I'll probably drift back to the GB12 since HP can't get its s*** together on the 4k Spectre Folio - but that still leaves me Kindle-Textureless...

Bishop and dellaster like this.