Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

A while back we were discussing the screen quality. I have to say, while the colors look fine in general, on my Go with the screen at max brightness the black levels are unimpressive. It looks like the backlight shines right through the 'black pixels'. I'll see if I can take a comparison picture, but basically it looks like the Go panel on my unit has pretty bad contrast. Otherwise still a nice little machine, but the IPS LCD screen on my fancy X1Y3 is more pleasant to look at.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Well since screens are my thing and technical specialty too, the screen on the go is good but not great.
    It's pretty accurate color wise , but is mediocre in dynamic range and black levels and has poor pixel response speed (which means not great for gaming).

So that being said,
    1. The screen on your Lenovo is superb, by all the criteria I just mentioned so it will look better than the go.
    2. The fall creators update (1809) has a much improved calibration tool built in. Its in display/advanced settings/advanced. You are still doing it by eyeball, but if you do it under relatively neutral light you can get the go screen more than accurate enough for anything but pro use. Also note that calibrated it will not be as bright as it is out of the box, but for me that's a worthwhile tradeoff

JoeS likes this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

That's why I asked work for the Galaxy Book2 instead of the Go. Wacom EMR. I am a Note 5 user. My personal line contract is up soon and I'm getting a Note 9 Duos for personal and work lines. Gonna sent it in to Group IT as BYOD for enterprise configuration. Knox and secure folder will enable me to utilise the Note 9 as both personal and work machine. Win Win.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What I really want to do is have a single multi-purpose device, and that is focusing on the HP Spectre Folio - BUT - they can't seem to get out of their own way and bring the 4k screen to market.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks, that's exactly how it looks, suboptimal dynamic range and black levels. On my go it's noticeable enough that I wondered if I had a 'bad unit'. I guess I'll have to go find someone else with a go, or visit a store and compare.

6. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Or maybe you’ll find the Folio too big in your field tests?

Maybe you could consider getting one of these when you need a bigger screen?

7. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

I just did this. I sold my Go on Swappa and replaced it with an iPP 11. Same form factor and better performance because it doesn't have to slog through Windows. If the Go had the Surface Pro 6 specs I doubt I would have done this.

Bronsky, dstrauss and WillAdams like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Traitor here again - going to give iPad Pro 11 a test drive (and please don't quote all my aspersions to iOS back to me - I'm in a sensitive mood at the moment). Sold some gear in last month or so, and BHPhoto had it $100 off plus no sales tax. Is this stupid - YES - has that ever stopped me before - NO. Our IT guy actually fixed our VPN specifically to support iPadders (no more PPTP), and FileBrowser does let me browse and open any folder/file on our NAS. IT IS NOT File Explorer, but good enough for the moment. Two of our lawyers went back to the iPP because fo teh Number 2 Pencil (less tapping, more screen drag). We'll see.

PS - typing this on the SB2 Beast...

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Too funny, maybe I shouldn't post when our VP gets her 4k folio?
    Don't want to add to your turmoil....:D

dstrauss likes this.
  10. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How does walking around with the device + pen / writing jotting down stuff while standing feel?