Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Remote Desktop has the ability to transfer files bidirectionally. plus one drive would also work.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm back to my one device funk...every time I try to have things in more than one place I run down more abandoned rabbit holes than you could imagine, just like this. Today I have a rather large contract to revise, so I brought home the big iron (SB2) and immediately get reminded how beautiful a large screen is (even the 13.5 on this one) with NO lag, skips, scrolling snags, application loading delays, plenty of room (RAM) and processor power to keep everything running at one time if I choose.

desertlap and Azzart like this.
  3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am considering getting a Surface Go LTE. To my mind the main advantages seem to be
    - Can hold the tablet in one hand and write with the other while standing and even walking slowly, can pace around and annotate pdfs/jot down notes while meandering about (does this actually end up being possible in practice)?
    - ipad doesn't auto download dropbox camera pics, but a surface will
    - fanless isn't it? So nice in bed audio player when with bluetooth headset, bigger screen than using a phone can be nice for occasional screen use

Am I missing some other big advantages/disadvantages of the 10 inch LTE magnetic pen windows form factor?

4. dstrauss

The tiny size is its biggest advantage, but if this is what you are looking for, look elsewhere...

Bishop likes this.
  5. desertlap

Going through something similar. I have used my new go with LTE for the last few days exclusively and was satisfied with the performance until late yesterday when I needed to update a couple of CAD drawings. I pulled out my SB2 15 and did it but after since I already had it out I did more mundane stuff too.

The "more power" part of me kept thinking.."man this thing is quick.....man this "screen is so bright and sharp". Why am I using that piddly go?

Then in the evening was sitting on the couch with my wife just relaxing. I pulled out the go and returned a couple of emails, looked at rotten tomatoes for some ideas on a movie to watch and then before bed read an ebook for about an hour and I thought, "this thing is so nice in hand and convenient and ebooks look great"

Horses for courses I guess :)

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  6. dstrauss

My problem is that if I'm using it just to sort through and respond to emails, streaming, and reading, why don't I want a device with real Kindle and Texture (for my magazine subscription)? Do I need a "mini-Windows" or a better tablet? Looking at you iPP 11...

7. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

Depends on your use-case. My work environment is 75% home-office and 25% on the road travelling (via airlines). Most of my work is accomplished in MS Office, with some PDF reading/conversion/signing, and some accessing browser-based medical practice management and electronic medical records software, with some of the reporting requiring MS Internet Explorer. On the road, I am either in meetings, interviewing physicians and/or staff (and taking notes in One Note), or pulling, analyzing and manipulating reports. I was travelling with my Dell XPS13 for Windows tasks and a Samsung Tab S3 9.3 LTE for note-taking. I'm trying to go to a one-device (2 with Note 8 phone) road solution, with the Dell becoming my desktop/office machine (with dock, 23" monitor keyboard, and mouse). I'm hoping I can get past the Tab S3 instant-on feature and the great inking. In past attempts to use a Windows device for extended note-taking, the slow wake-up process was frustrating. Bottom-line is that I'm not a power-user (no programming/compiling, not image/video-editing, but do often work with 100K plus row spreadsheets), and the Go form-factor is appealing for the travelling and note-taking.

Just received my Go LTE and leaving tomorrow for my first of a series of 3 trips for the rest of December. I'm somewhere between optimistic and hopeful that the Go will be the travelling device for me, and can be the tool to accomplish my work.

djas, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

You are correct. I was wrong. Thanks for the education. I use RD so much, but never used it for file transfer. I always use my NAS for file transfer.

Why do you need the big iron? I thought you had a docking station at home?

Maybe you should think about your file transfer strategy? If you find that a single device is unworkable, then the usability of a two device solution will be based on how easily you can get to your files.

Maybe you should press your IT to allow use of OneDrive?

desertlap likes this.
  9. dstrauss

What I really want to do is have a single multi-purpose device, and that is focusing on the HP Spectre Folio - BUT - they can't seem to get out of their own way and bring the 4k screen to market.

10. desertlap

Well don't look to me to convince you not to buy the new iPad Pro, I absolutely love mine, that is when I can get it away from my wife and son:D

BTW: I saw what I think will be the 4k screen they will use in the folio on an x360 the other day and it was truly beautiful, bright, crisp and nice small bezels. I wasn't able to test it, but eyeballing it, it looked superb