Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that a Kindle UWP would be great. Unfortunately, this isn't Microsoft's doing, it is Amazon:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/amazon-removing-its-kindle-pc-app-windows-store-october-27

I'm not sure if there are any third party kindle apps.

You could always buy books in the Microsoft Store and read them with Edge. ;)

WillAdams likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I was very sad when I lost access to the UWP Kindle reader from Windows 8 when I last reverted to 1703 so as to avoid Fall Creators Update.

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Egads, no! Not unless one is willing to consider the ebooks disposable. Microsoft did the e-book store thing once before and discontinued it, all purchased ebooks lost to the customers except what was downloaded on their computer. That was the original Microsoft Reader and the .lit format.

https://ebookreadersoftware.wordpress.com/2011/08/16/the-end-of-microsoft-reader/

I certainly will never trust them with my ebook purchases.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Remote desktop means you have access to the machine's display over the network. In this case, all of the processing happens on the SB2, and requires a constant connection to the SB2 in order to work.

I think Dale want's remote file access. I'd recommend he play with this locally. When he gets it figured out, then add VPN software...

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-share-files-and-printers-without-homegroup-windows-10

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Remote Desktop has the ability to transfer files bidirectionally. plus one drive would also work.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm back to my one device funk...every time I try to have things in more than one place I run down more abandoned rabbit holes than you could imagine, just like this. Today I have a rather large contract to revise, so I brought home the big iron (SB2) and immediately get reminded how beautiful a large screen is (even the 13.5 on this one) with NO lag, skips, scrolling snags, application loading delays, plenty of room (RAM) and processor power to keep everything running at one time if I choose.

desertlap and Azzart like this.
  7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am considering getting a Surface Go LTE. To my mind the main advantages seem to be
    - Can hold the tablet in one hand and write with the other while standing and even walking slowly, can pace around and annotate pdfs/jot down notes while meandering about (does this actually end up being possible in practice)?
    - ipad doesn't auto download dropbox camera pics, but a surface will
    - fanless isn't it? So nice in bed audio player when with bluetooth headset, bigger screen than using a phone can be nice for occasional screen use

Am I missing some other big advantages/disadvantages of the 10 inch LTE magnetic pen windows form factor?

8. dstrauss

The tiny size is its biggest advantage, but if this is what you are looking for, look elsewhere...

Bishop likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Going through something similar. I have used my new go with LTE for the last few days exclusively and was satisfied with the performance until late yesterday when I needed to update a couple of CAD drawings. I pulled out my SB2 15 and did it but after since I already had it out I did more mundane stuff too.

The "more power" part of me kept thinking.."man this thing is quick.....man this "screen is so bright and sharp". Why am I using that piddly go?

Then in the evening was sitting on the couch with my wife just relaxing. I pulled out the go and returned a couple of emails, looked at rotten tomatoes for some ideas on a movie to watch and then before bed read an ebook for about an hour and I thought, "this thing is so nice in hand and convenient and ebooks look great"

Horses for courses I guess :)

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  10. dstrauss

My problem is that if I'm using it just to sort through and respond to emails, streaming, and reading, why don't I want a device with real Kindle and Texture (for my magazine subscription)? Do I need a "mini-Windows" or a better tablet? Looking at you iPP 11...