Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

My retired TC1100 has siloed Wacom EMR. :rolleyes:

Bishop, Tams, WillAdams and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm certainly no expert (by any means at all), but I thought this would happen with Nadella at the wheel. He's brought them increased profitability, which is what shareholders want I guess. I am worried about Microsoft's sustainability though (it looks like IBM's retreat) and it's also just really boring with less variety. Where are all the truly interesting projects that Microsoft Research used to come up with? They even seem to be ready to ditch stuff that works: WM10, OneNote x86, Edge etc. At lot of those are projects that have had rocky histories, but with enough investment actually started getting somewhere. Hell even Xbox's future doesn't look that secure as part of Microsoft.

Nadella has done well for Microsoft, but I think the time is coming for him to go.

As or Edge moving to Blink. It's not good. That leaves only Blink and Gecko/Quantum. Blink, like Android has fundamental flaws that either can't be fixed or Google just aren't interested in fixing. That's not even taking into account the steps towards a monopoly (and yes, Alphabet do have strings attached). Ah, for the times when we at least had Trident and Presto as well.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

FYI (for yall's information) @DRTigerlilly started a separate thread on Edge possibly moving to a Chromium based engine, see here.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

jvloyola, JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If I thought it had Wacom EMR (let alone current generation S-Pen technology) and could run Android well, I'd be buying one now.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bronsky likes this.
  7. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that a Kindle UWP would be great. Unfortunately, this isn't Microsoft's doing, it is Amazon:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/amazon-removing-its-kindle-pc-app-windows-store-october-27

I'm not sure if there are any third party kindle apps.

You could always buy books in the Microsoft Store and read them with Edge. ;)

WillAdams likes this.
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I was very sad when I lost access to the UWP Kindle reader from Windows 8 when I last reverted to 1703 so as to avoid Fall Creators Update.

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Egads, no! Not unless one is willing to consider the ebooks disposable. Microsoft did the e-book store thing once before and discontinued it, all purchased ebooks lost to the customers except what was downloaded on their computer. That was the original Microsoft Reader and the .lit format.

https://ebookreadersoftware.wordpress.com/2011/08/16/the-end-of-microsoft-reader/

I certainly will never trust them with my ebook purchases.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Remote desktop means you have access to the machine's display over the network. In this case, all of the processing happens on the SB2, and requires a constant connection to the SB2 in order to work.

I think Dale want's remote file access. I'd recommend he play with this locally. When he gets it figured out, then add VPN software...

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-share-files-and-printers-without-homegroup-windows-10