Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Tams and JoeS like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Man I hope not, Chrome is such resource hog.

Of course getting technical here for a second, the rendering engine itself might be fine. It's the current way that Chrome sandboxes each tab/page that makes its so resource intensive.

@Marty, I don't want to add fuel to the fire but WOS may be the future for Windows tablets. We heard from one of our partners last week that Microsoft will be releasing a WOS based surface in the early part off 2019. Just a rumor it's true and the rumor didn't have any info on form factor (tablet or yet another shot at a windows phone)

I've used the new galaxy book 2 as well and in many ways it a superior machine with outstanding battery life and a superb screen.
    And with the new 64 Bit SDK , native apps should be more common soon. The main thing I have with the book now is that it needs more RAM

I've speculated along with @dstrauss, that Windows may be headed the apple way with ARM based tablets and intel based laptops/desktops. Not to mention that we are hearing even better things about the forthcoming SnapDragon 1000 chip.

So I'm sure I've muddied things even further.;)

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  3. dstrauss

[​IMG]

desertlap likes this.
  4. dstrauss

Traitor here - I think the failure of Samsung to put an S-Pen in the Galaxy Book 2 may have nailed the coffin for me. They put a slightly larger stick in the Notebook 9 series, but are showing no love for the S-Pen outside of the Galaxy Note, and most of the pundits say "no go" for an S-Pen in the Galaxy F...all very sad developments for us Wacom EMR fans.

Tams likes this.
  5. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

I am putting my SG 8GB/128GB SSD on the selling block. My use case may be different than most. I got the SG to run a Bible software program that takes up about 45GB of space on the SSD. While the SSD space isn't the issue, the slower CPU and to a lesser extent the battery life was. When this program indexes all of that 45GB of data, it can lock up the SG. The Surface Pro, on the other hand, handles this program well, but like most SG owners I want a 10-inch tablet, not a 12.3-inch tablet. I'd be first in line for a SG with a higher CPU.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

uh....the Galaxy Book 2 definitely has S-pen Support. Its larger, the size of the Zbook pen, backend eraser, and magnetically attaches. Of all the things they seeming failed with the Galaxy Book 2....the S-pen with the GB2 was certainly not a failure in my book.

batty likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As far as the CPU.....they probably were able to get the Pentinum Golds in bulk from Intel dirt cheap. What they should have done.....Pentium Gold in the $399 model.....and then Core m3 or m5y in the $550 model along with the Ram/SSD bump. Maybe a slighty higher pricetag at $600.....but that would be universally preferred by many I'm sure.

And the biggest problem with shrinking the bezel would be the magnetic fold of the keyboard cover that bumps the keyboard at an angle. the Bezel as is.....is the size of the fold....if they made the bezel significantly smaller it would cause issues with the keyboard cover....and if they just enlarged the bottom bezel it would make the device feel off balanced if you were to use it just as a tablet.

JoeS likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good point about the bottom bezel and the keyboard. I like the way Apple has done with their keyboard and the connector on the middle of the back on the new iPad Pros but (and it is a big but), their design lacks a kickstand which is one my favorite features of the surface pro/go

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The continual retreat of the new MS is kind of depressing. I made Edge my default browser because the load time is way faster than Chrome's, it uses way less battery, and I found touch panning better on Edge than on Chrome. Given the Play Store Apps shenanigans* by Google, I hope Microsoft has thought long and hard about any possible ways in which Google could try to hurt them if they abandon Edge.

* start offering Android for free open source, slowly sweep more and more stuff into proprietary apps, then use that as leverage to force device makers to follow Google's rules

Tams, dstrauss, Bishop and 2 others like this.
  10. dstrauss

I didn't make my point very well - the refusal to put a siloed S-Pen in the GB2 demonstrated to me that they are going to stick to their new found larger pen, so there's no hope for a small format tablet with a pen silo. I know it can use the S-Pen, but it is not included. To me that is a failure, whether or not the GB2 supports Wacom EMR.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    DRTigerlilly and Tams like this.