Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

You just cant replicate the Wacom S-Pen magic. Buying out N-Trig was a bad move, the S-Pen/Wacom EMR tech is just that good. Why re-invent the wheel and try to make the surface pen better when there was a better pen protocol in place?

Some of the decisions by Microsoft just frustrate me as a consumer. I dont care about 4096 pressure levels, when your pen experience sucks compared to Wacom EMR. Tilt? S-Pen had that a long time ago, and this is Wacom EMR tech. Surface Pen? Yeah it makes sense that its nearly $100, but why not have a pen that is included in the box that isnt as "robust" as the surface pen. Why am I getting a pen that only has 1 button? I could care less about the stupid clicky button at the eraser end.

I also have read that the USB-C to USB-A adapter is a "sold separately" item. If you're touting this to be for people on the go, for your students, and business people, start by including these items. A dongle isnt an item someone should pay for when an OEM decides to go full USB-C.

2. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am not too worried about the dongle as both my Pixel Xl and I think even Nexus 6P came with a usb-c to usb-a dongle. But, if the Go isn't coming with a dongle that is a real shame, because at that price it should be standard.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Flirtation period over (already). :vboops:

My GB12 is flying straight and level. The i5 is handling everything I throw at it (no gaming); screen is beautiful; driving two 27" WQHD monitors; 656gb total storage (thanks to mSDX 400gb card); basically a Surface Go with more muscle (and maybe in need of a few more sit ups to slim that waistline). :vbsmile:

AND BEST OF ALL - WACOM EMR GOODNESS. :vbbiggrin:

I really am happy for @Bronsky and the others for whom the Surface Go will soon be their go to machine (VERY jealous of the kickstand and dock), but I'm good with my Sammy and S-Pens...:thumbsup::newpalm: :hi:

PS - wonder if a Dremel and hacksaw could get me a kickstand too...:vbeek: :vbrolleyes:

PPS - when the warranty expires, me and the Dremel are going in search of a silo...:vbwink:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

...five minutes later...

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Oh ye of little faith (where's my hasenpfeffer recipe...)

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

I did buy one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Best Buy has a $50 gift card deal for anyone pre-ordering.
    Does not work with their student deals though (in case you were wondering)

Bronsky likes this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Best Buy is a devil they couldn't tell me about pre-orders on the Go, got tempted by the Pro, saw a 14in HP with wacom aes support at $450 with Windows 10 Pro. Didn't get anything, but way more devices with pen support than I remember. When did this happen?

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lest then a year ago. More specifically that huge Best Buy push for Pens is thanks to Wacom, since next to almost all those Penabled Yogas and 2-in-1's is the dual protocol Wacom Ink Pen that works with both Wacom AES & Surfaces/Ntrig/MPP. Once they had a pen that would work with most everything (Except Apple and Samsung)...they started pushing it like crazy.

bloodycape likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Except in Canada.

At my local store (the largest by foot traffic in all of Canada) there was a single pen on display. It was a Surface Pen with a busted nib, tethered to the Microsoft section. No AES, no EMR, despite many supporting tablet models from HP, Dell and Samsung being shown.

Honestly, our Best Buys always seem like sloppy seconds to the ones in the US. Our rewards program was already crap compared to yours, but now they just decided to axe it completely. So now we don't even get those little yellow gift certificates to string us along... x.x

(but we're too polite to say anything to BB of course ;))