Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Haven't had much time to test out the pen, but hopefully later this weekend.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been impressed with how well Edge displays and allows markup of PDF files on the SG. You might give that a go.

3. dstrauss

Cellular Performance:

Now in Colorado Springs (family medical issue) and have been using the SG LTE on AT&T around town and pretty impressed. Low was 52 down and 11 up, today peaked at 76 down and 19 up. Ping was the same both times - 45ms. Pretty snappy if you ask me. Also very smooth transitions between WiFi and cellular.

At times I'm still experiencing random lag issues - opening a file; scrolling through larger files; switching windows. Nothing drastic, just halting or slow downs that can irritate a bit.

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

So i'm curious, in my mind the SGB2 is closer in equivalent to the Surface Go vs the Pro. Was price the determining factor to get the SGB2 vs the Go?

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@dstrauss , Have you been able to tell what the hit to battery life has been with using the LTE? The LTE chipset you mentioned is not known for it's frugality, but (at least in theory) Windows should be able to manage it fairly effectively compared to most generic android.

Reason I ask is that the battery life on both the new WOS Galaxy Book and the Lenovo Yoga using LTE extensively is simply outstanding and based on what I'm told I'll be doing next year, battery life has become a top priority for me. And my experience with the non LTE Go is that it is ok but not great.

6. dstrauss

I actually got the Surface Go (business SKU which comes with Win10 Pro and a 25gb SSD) - I just don't believe in WOA now, even on the Snapdragon 850, AND the SGB2 dwarfs the SG size wise.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. dstrauss

I just haven't had time to stress test it, and have it in manual mode so I start LTE as needed, not letting Windows handle it. However, I can assure you it is not "simply outstanding" if that is the benchmark. Can't even speak to overall battery longevity as I've been here at the hospital with family more than on the SG. The overall experience, however, has been good. Screen is a little dim to me at 50%, but that is coming off the GB12 with its OLED that will sear your retinas even at 50%.

I really like the size and portability, and the screen is beautiful, but a bit small for heavy duty work sans a monitor.

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

keeping your family in my prayers.

9. dstrauss

Thanks so much...my brother is recovering well...

10. dstrauss

Thanks to everyone here at my TPCR family for the support and well wishes. Strange how "strangers" can form a bond...shame the country can't do the same...

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving - I know our family did - have a fun Cyber Monday...

Bishop, dellaster, Kumabjorn and 3 others like this.