Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would be an absolute nightmare holding an ipad, while in bed, playing games without a bezel. We need to realise that marketing convinces us that we want this, or not, while actually not needing it at all. Bezels make some sense, on some items. Laptops don't need them, other than from a protective aspect, but tablets... yeah... they need at least two corners or at a bare minimum one with bezels. But opinions vary.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm on record asking Panos & Satya to dig into that bag of cash and BUY WACOM before Apple does....

As for bezel vs bezel-less: we can all have our cake and eat it too. Intel demoed Smart Frame FIVE YEARS AGO

[​IMG]

I agree, no bezel is tough in tablet mode, it's a godsend when in laptop mode. You can't tell me that the engineers at Surface can't implement this when we are already on Canon Lake (this was North Cape for crying out loud). It could even have a manual mode for when you want to have no bezels in tablet mode (for demo's, etc.)

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's pure software. I wonder if something hasn't already been rigged out in 3rd party land..?

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My guess is it actually is hardware and software of some sort - don't see how software could make those huge bezels completely touchless, BUT in any event it's time is WAY PAST DUE.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Given my schedule today, I will be up at my local Microsoft Store. Here is hoping they have demo units in. If so, photo session and benchmarks to come this PM.

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are we back on this topic again? The poor horse has taken such a beating...but why not add a bit more? ;)

Ok, first we need to dispel the mistaken notion that bezel-less = "nowhere to hold the device". As @dstrauss said, there's Intel's "Smart Bezel" concept.

But even with currently implemented software, you can create regions along the edge to rest the palm and hold the device. For example, VAIO's "Pencil Board" @10:02:

This is just good design...because it is "snazzy and futuristic?" No, because it is useful.

Case in point, I can selectively block out a region from touch, but not pen, giving me a very handy "toolbar bezel" (I'm a lefty) :)

[​IMG]
    (the gray region below the "VAIO Pencil Board" text is immune to touch)

So now I can use the left edge as both a place to grip/rest the palm, and a region to put UI elements. This allows me to maximize the screen real-estate on a 12.3" tablet, something utterly impossible to do with a regular bezel.

So before you call somebody a corporate sheep, think carefully about the potential use-cases for the design. Not every fad is a bad one.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    batty and Chris_Kez like this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

There are numerous devices out there in the Windows universe. Thick bezels, thin bezels. Wacom, ntrig etc. big screens, small screens. detachables, convertibles. fast processors, low processors. high prices, low prices. lol... pick one, or a few. :)

To me, I don't see any cons in the SG (Surface 4), coming from one of the users it is targeting (Surface 3). Really, I don't care what pen technology it's using or how thick or thin the bezel is, makes no difference to me.

Carry on :)

:D

lovelaptops and Bronsky like this.
  8. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

Man a lot happened while I was gone. Hi guys!

Does this mean Bronksy found his unicorn replacement for the S3?

Is this Meso's Surface Air?

Oh my bezels, I thought this was a lenovo product looking at it. Pretty sure this is what Dale is thinking too. :D

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Update: Received word that there are no demo units on display at my location until the 27th. Sorry folks.

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am 80% sure I am not going Surface Go. I made the mistake of googling something and my local Best Buy has a Samsung Chromebook Pro(the one with Core M cpu) 64gb for $370 as a certified open box. Really tempting for Wacom EMR, a screen that is highly ranked(same 3:2 display in the Pixelbook & some of the HP X2 models). I like Dstrauss am worried Samsung may make their other devices 16:10 or worse 16:9, and I've really come to like 3:2 aspect ratio of the S3. Downside is like the SGo USB-C ports(two unlike the Plus V2, which has 2 USB-C and one USB-A) and not a detachable. I can deal with Chrome OS as I have a windows desktop and it is running a full desktop class browser, plus Wacom EMR.

Edit: Maybe 65% sure re-read some reviews and got mixed reviews on battery life.Some got 7.5+ hours, others got 5 hours. :-/ Still probably wait for the SGo reviews to make a decision.

nnthemperor likes this.