Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Doubt I'll be doing much screen splitting either, but for single documents a Word screen at 10" was very usable. I have a 27" QHD at home now that I use with the GB12, so that's not too much of a worry there. As for Alt-Tab, I wouldn't be any better off with an iPad Pro 11, and I've been fascinated with using a true tablet size device for a long time. My hope is the Surface Go II next fall will go to an 11" plus screen and i5Y/i7Y options.

I use Outlook 365 and again, it will just be Alt-Tab city. James Kendrick, a former member of ZDNet and early expert on ultrabook and portable computing, ALWAYS advocated single task windows on these size devices as a way to keep users focused (and boy do I need FOCUS).

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Works fine. When hooked to the larger display, I actually use the Go's display for Outlook exclusively and work with a split screen on the 23".

dstrauss likes this.
  3. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

Chrome was laggy on my SG, so I am now using Firefox when Edge won't do. It performs more fluidly IMO.

Bishop likes this.
  4. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

dstrauss are you using a GB12 and SG? I'm looking to replace my S3 LTE and leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Book 2 but there are enough things to dislike about both that I haven't been able to pull the trigger.

5. dstrauss

The SG arrives next week - my daily driver is the GB12. I'll have a couple of weeks to test drive the SG LTE (because keyboard came in a week early), but it will be a short lived trial if it can't drive the two QHD monitors attached to my Surface Dock...

6. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

So what do you think? Was it worth the $1k? Reviews seem to be all over the place. What I want: Browser, run Office 365 from the web and installed apps. Onenote locally, Whiteboard, Teams, Skype, an app to markup pdfs (Samsung?). The battery life and LTE are the big draw for me. RAM looks to be low and that worries me.

SG, looks like battery life and screen size are worse than my S3. The S3 works well for my needs but is getting slow.

7. dstrauss

Really won't know until next week. However, the sale goes off the LTE GB12 at NewEgg ($899) which is a really good deal even if the LTE is not strong for AT&T users. It has almost tempted me to replace my non-LTE GB12 because I know the GB12 performs well with my setup (just no real docking solution).

8. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

What type of hub are you using for the GB12? I'm looking @ this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Alum...Pad+Pro+and+More+(Space+Grey)#customerReviews

9. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

It isn't about focus as much as it is having a data source open at the same time as what I'm working on. I like the split screen when I'm trying to "transcribe" content. So I'm taking notes in one pane and have the source document in another pane. Or I'm entering a calendar appointment in one pane and the details are in another pane.

My answer may be different if I spent a lot of time creating a lot of independent content that didn't rely on other sources.

But this is what I was saying about personal tradeoffs. Generally, I'll be more productive with SP2017. So when I am ogling the SGo, I have to ask myself is it worth the $600 to have a device that I would admittedly carry to more places, but be less productive when I got there?

10. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member