Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You really got the gist of my post. Yeah, there's no excuse for MS to be churning out half-assed products when they should really come out the door swinging. The whole Apple pencil vs Surface pen thing is hard to overlook.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Duly noted.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Soooo, not that I'm considering buying in or anything, but how do the resident Surface Go owners feel about their device after a few months? Any niggling issues, regrets (related to the Go), or just pure bliss?

4. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

My Surface Go is on the Insider Program Fast Ring. It downloaded and installed Windows 10 ver. 1809 build 18252.1000 a couple of days ago. Now my overnight battery drain in sleep mode is over 65%.

Anyone else seeing numbers like that?

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Would that qualify as a "niggling issue?"

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

(quietly puts away wallet)

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm still quite annoyed the pen problems haven't been remedied at all, its still as useless for Art as the day it came out.

I have to admit my honeymoon with the device is well over. It was very useful on my month long trip.....but now back home....at most I use it for light web surfing and really just watching movies/videos. Also compared to the Surface Pro 5 and Galaxy Book 10.6......the Go's screen is noticeably the poorest quality. Like if I want to prop it up to watch Netflix in the background (while using another device)….the video quality looks better on my iPad Pro. Noe If they could fix the pen problems I would probably use it more frequently, but with my Mobile Studio, Surface Pro, Ipad Pro or Galaxy Book......I can never justify bringing the Go anywhere since it's the most useless for any kind of art.

Also being unable to charge it by most USB-C chargers and battery packs...… that work completely fine with the Galaxy Book....which is technically more powerful then the Go....is also a huge con for me.

In hinesight…..I kind of almost wish I didn't buy it.

And with the refreshed Galaxy Book 12 (and hopefully 10.6) now seemingly going to have a kickstand...….I am kicking around the idea of selling back my Pro 5 & Go to either the Microsoft Store or Best Buy (at a $ loss for me no doubt) to put towards the newer Galaxy Book.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    thierryb and JoeS like this.
  8. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I looked at it but wasn't impressed enough to replace my S3 LTE with a Go (even when it comes out with LTE). I'm in no rush, the S3 is still works well for my needs. The Pixel Slate was disappointing-at least it wasn't what I wanted, so I'll hold on to my cash hoping WoA devices fit the bill for me. I'm looking for LTE, all day battery and enough horsepower for Office 365 apps, not much multi-tasking and the mobile version may even be good enough. OneNote is important.

9. JoeS

That's all great info. For me the pen would only be for markup and very simple line diagrams so that's probably fine, but the bad screen quality is surprising! It's probably smart to wait for Samsung's next gen Win10 tablets. Thanks!

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is starting to replace my iPad Pro as my go to mobile device. The reason though is a bit odd. In Word on iOS when I write Swedish and use a lot of small "i" since it is the equivalent of in or to (hence, often appears) the app insists that it should be an I, as in English. Very annoying and several complaints on the feedback features has yielded nothing. That problem doesn't exist in the Windows version.

Also, PDF files inserted in OneNote appears the way Gates intended, so that helps too. But most of all I think the easy switching between different running applications and the use of a mouse is what clinches it for me. I will say though that the iPP is thinner and lighter and just feels sturdier and better built.

JoeS likes this.