Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

um......that's certainly not my experience with the Go & the Pro 3 Pen. I have two Pro 3 pens, the Grey/purple button one, and a Blue one......and while the fish hooking is far less pronounced (I'm still seeing hooks).....the pen itself is almost useless because it requires significant IAF, and presumably as a result of that, it has the ink blotch problem like crazy.

Bronsky likes this.
  2. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

^This. My criticism of the W10 app exactly. We need not just a midpoint thickness, but a more granular setting to make it exactly the thickness we want. What makes this even more infuriating is that the thickness setting differs with the pen you use. The thickness of the SG pen is different from, say, the Bamboo.

3. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Same issue here. My workaround has been to define a couple of pencils. Those sizes seem to fall in between the available pen settings.

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is the go section but I could use some input from anyone that might have some experience with an Acer Spin 1. Specifically on mixed use as both a laptop and tablet.

The context is my sister has seen and played with my Surface go and thinks she wants something like that to tote with her, However through her work she can get a Spin 1 with a Pentium processor 4GB RAM 64GB emmc drive 1080p touch screen AND an active pen for about $300.

Seems like a good deal, but she's not averse to spending more for the go, but it's balanced by needs, cost. She primarily uses office, one note and does email, web browsing and Spotify.

She's especially taken with the pen for note taking and doodles with the go so the question about Acers pen usability is important

Any input and comparison with the go experience would be much appreciated. Thanks

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Paying $300 for a Spin 1 at work is no bargain. That is the retail price of the notebook. The Spin is a yoga style notebook, not a detachable like the Go. The Acer has a 16:9 display, not a 3:2 display like the Go. The Acer is a whopping 3.31 pounds. The Go weighs a svelte 1.15lbs without the keyboard and 1.7lbs with. The Acer is 11.6" and the Go is 10". Regardless of the Pen capability, the Go has it all over the Acer. And, given its base price, it's worth the extra money. You could get a plain black keyboard for $99 and pick up the pen in a bundle if you need to cut costs.

desertlap and JoeS like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe that Acer model has the generic MPP pen. The Surface Pen in the Go is technically superior from a spec standpoint.....however the current status of the GO more then a month after release is that's its pretty much worthless to create art on given the pen problems which are still not fixed. And given how long its taken Microsoft to fix previous pen issues (the whole Windows ink disaster for one) it could very well be many months before Microsoft actually fixes the pen problem with the Go. I mean, for note taking/office use the GO's pen would be sufficient.....but for serious doodling or anything more......it won't be pretty. Even though the Acer technically has a worse pen....it would still probably perform better then the Go currently does. In every other capacity however, I would whole heartedly recommend the GO.

desertlap likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks @Bronsky and a@darkmagistric for the input. I kind of figured it was not as good a deal as it seemed eben though it was pen and all for $300. I have a chromebook that's about the same weight as the Acer and had my sister try holding it as a tablet and that alone pretty much convinced her that the Go was the better choice.

She's going to buy the base model go pen and basic keyboard tomorrow.

Thanks again

Bronsky likes this.
  8. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

Brad Colbow reviews the 64GB/4GB Go:

tl;dw: yes you guessed it: everything was great except for the god awful jitters.

Bronsky and cmergel like this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Quite a shoutout to @surfaceproartist, confirming his conclusion that the Pro 4 pen works better than the current version (oddly enough, mine is just the opposite). The reviewer was a bit too animated for my taste (maybe that's why I'm not an artist type). Review got better after he settled down after 6 minutes.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  10. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

The Surface Pens...I've tried to like them but I just can't. I'm no artist by any means but I do take a lot of digital notes, all the study notes for every subject during my bachelor were written on an x200t and then an x220t.

When the Pro 3 came out, I went to the store several times and tried out the pen with OneNote, came back disappointed.
    A year or so later, the Pro 4 came out and the guy living right next to me in the dorm happened to buy one, so I got the chance to try it out, didn't go well.
    Then the Surface Book...went to the store several times...same story, came back unsatisfied..
    (I did also try the Apple Pencil and it was great, but iOS is a no go for me).

Compared to the Surface Pens, the pen on my x220t was just more fluid, smoother and uh..more analog I guess. It got very inaccurate when writing near the edges and the parallax was annoying at times but overall it just felt more natural to me. Couldn't say the same with the Microsoft pens though.

I'm going back to Germany for study and in need of a new note taking device to replace my x220t: it's a brick, its dying battery lasts 2 hours at best with everything turned off and it's not really lapable because of the heat generated from the 6-year-old 35W CPU...but the Wacom pen works for me while the Microsoft ones didn't, and it's a very big BUT. The Surface Go would be a perfect replacement IF it wasn't for the pen :(:(.

Bronsky and JoeS like this.