Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@batty you have a solution with the gb10, same size, but emr.

2. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

It's got EMMC and no kickstand :( I did try it out when attending a Samsung event, but I found EMMC was just a bit too slow and not worth the price.

What frustrates me the most though, is Microsoft's slowness when it comes to fixing their pens. The Pro 3 with N-trig came out somewhere in 2014 (IIRC the first tabletPC equipped with N-trig DuoSense was the Dell Latitude XT in 2008), and Microsoft has everything in their hands to perfect their pens, yet it's 2018 already and they seem to haven't sorted out the quirks with their latest pens yet.
    Apple got it right at their very first attempt with the Pencil, and it has basically the same technology with N-trig's.
    Samsung's S-pen keeps getting better and better. Virtually no edge inaccuracy or parallax anymore, and they even managed to stuff bluetooth into those little toothpicks already..

Sorry for the rants:(

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's probably the most repeated rant on this site.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

While the ink lays down fluidly with an Apple Pencil, it is hard to hold, rolls off the table easily, and the recharging method is cumbersome. Of all the pen technologies, it feels the most like writing on glass and is too slippery for my taste.

JoeS, batty and dstrauss like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes, yes, yes, and YES. Other than that, it works ok...

JoeS likes this.
  6. Bronsky

I can't believe that I'm going to have to wipe out my entire set up, set it up again on the S3 and then wait for the LTE versions to arrive. Microsoft should just let me trade-up when they are available. I'll be happy to pay the difference.:vbfrown:

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I missed what caused this. Was there an announcement?

8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Suggestion for the ink focused user: Make sure Microsoft Surface the app is installed on your Go. You can use the Pen & Ink settings to modify the pressure sensitivity.
    upload_2018-9-19_13-9-19.png

I've included tests of a Surface Pen (wire clip, single flat side button, shipped with original Surface Book), and a Wacom Bamboo Ink pen (black triangular barrel).

The OneNote page is set to 100% zoom
    upload_2018-9-19_13-14-56.png

I tried to apply the same pressure with each pen. You be the judge.

The Surface Pen tip has slightly better friction, and to my eyes looks slightly thicker. I think the lesser friction leads to slightly shakier strokes with the Bamboo Pen. The exercise also reminds me that the occasional "hook" is an artifact of me dragging my left hand as I move left to right to ink. The one advantage of the Bamboo Ink Pen is that one of its 2 buttons can be used to erase without having to lift the pen to the top of the UI to switch between an inking tool and the eraser.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What happened? Is this what you are referring to at WindowsLatest.Com:

Surface Go LTE
    Microsoft is expected to unveil the promised Surface Go LTE variant at this event and it will start shipping by the end of 2018.

10. Bronsky

:vbeek: I was going by the Neowin site that indicated the Go was being launched on the second. I guess that didn't mean becoming available. Never mind. If they don't ship the Go LTE until January, I'll be waiting for 5G or at least a 5G Galaxy Note 10 phone to tether my Go to.