Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

What are your thoughts about keeping S mode or moving to full windows for the Surface Go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've left it in S Mode but upgraded to Pro...unless you need traditional Win32 Apps, I find S Mode gives better battery performance. I also use the mobile version of Office, also to maximize battery.

3. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I move out of S Mode to Home and then upgraded to PRO. I have a few applications that are not in the Windows Store that I like to run.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Question for those using their Go in smode with edge. When doing just general web browsing in the morning on the news sites, (CNN, Fox, MSNBC etc.) I have noticed my machine frequently goes in to "plugged in not charging".

Is it just that these sites are getting heavy (I know Salon.com is ridiculous that way) or do I have a problem possibly?. I am using the supplied charger.

Thanks

5. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

Bronsky, I removed Bitlocker too and saw my write score go up as well.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Mindful Gadgets

Mindful Gadgets Pen Pal - Newbie

I would assume that its a CPU bottleneck since bitlocker would require things to be encrypted and decrypted on the fly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

During my trip....I tried alot of experimenting trying to figure out any way to do art on the Go........one thing that sort of helped......in Clip Studio Paint......an actual simple fix to make things more manageable.....I would just simply jack the Brush Stabilization from 0 to around 40 -ish.......with EMR devices like the Galaxy Book or Mobile Studio.....I always have this set to its default zero since with EMR pens I never really needed to use it.....with the Go....I noticed it did pretty significantly help the line/ink quality.....I"m a fast sketcher.....and although setting the stabilization that high created other issues (such as lag)......the overall line work is still superior to what it would have been defaulted at zero. For like 20 minutes I was able to sit in a Costa Coffee house and draw something without thinking it looked like complete crap. But it was still by no means a comparable experience to using a EMR device.

Hey jnjroach been meaning to ask, given how our little board is more or less a free focus group for Microsoft.....and taking into account the pretty Universal dissatisfaction with the Go's Pen performance from pretty much everyone on this board who bought one...... Are the pen problems being looked into? Like have you casually mentioned to anyone on the Microsoft Go team that "Hey all the Pen nuts on that niche forum hate the Go's pen experience" ? Even without the Pixelsense Accelerator chip....as is, the GO performs worse then the Pro 3 did in my opinion...so I like to think fireware/driver updates could at least make things a bit better for us.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Go even performs worse than my old Surface 3. It doesn't have hooks.

Does upgrading from home to Pro wipe out files, etc. Do I have to back-up before doing that? I want to use my SD card from the Surface 3 but only if I can encrypt it. So far I have used only 54 GB of the 128GB on the Go.

[​IMG]

Took a snapshot of the Go in Hardware Monitor while docked.

[​IMG]
    Did I mention how much I liked the size of this thing?​

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    dstrauss likes this.
  9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, you mentioned how much you like the size but also how much you dislike the pen. This is why I stay with my gb10, even if I need more memory and a bigger disk.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OMG - I go away for just a couple of days to visit my kids in Savannah and Charlottesville and the whole world goes crazy, with Straussian levels of rationalization...

I've upgraded a number of times from Home to Pro and I think all it really does is unlock the pro features on the home install - I don't think it even downloads any bits - - but I usually back up just in case, like they suggest.

PS - someone is a bit size obsessed...