Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Ok. So I'm in. GO is unboxed, running updates, downloading OneDrive, etc.

I did not buy pen or type cover. I'm using the MS Foldable Universal Keyboard, an existing sleeve and the Surface Pen from the original Surface Book (wire loop pocket clip)

In OneNote, no hooks or blotches with that pen. I do note some hooks with the Wacom Bamboo ink pen (triangular barrel w/ battery).

Once I've gotten through the first couple of days shake down, I'll share additional observations.

dstrauss, Chris_Kez, djas and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Welcome. I am loving mine. Haven't tried my other pens yet.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  3. Bishop

Sic vos non vobis.

4. Bishop

Bronsky: Were you tethering to your Surface 3 with USB or just WiFi? If the former, have you gotten that working on the SGo? Thanks

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Bronsky

As far as performance is concerned, it is a quantum leap from the Surface 3. As the indexing starts to complete and the tablet runs more naturally, the performance is really quite impressive for such a lowly CPU. The full speed SSD feels great as well. Graphics, the S3's only other real choke point (and even at that, mostly after 2 years of use) flow naturally and don't interfere with scrolling.

Most impressive to me is the way it feels in your hand. It is perfectly sized to be easy to read and easy to hold. It feels great in your hand. I had none of the problems that @darkmagistric had putting the keyboard cover on backwards. It fits perfectly and adds quite a bit of grip to the Go.

The Maroo case I had for the Surface 3 has been pressed into duty as the Go's defacto case. But, I am hoping that the company issues a new one, just cut smaller to fit the Go. It has about an inch and a half of excess inside the case. I can, however, put it in the case with the pen on the magnetic side and the pen stays put while in the case. I like almost everything about this Go. It's really well designed and well built.

I have been working on a large summary judgment brief since I got it last Sunday and it has been great at the office as well as at home doing so extra innings editing at night. In all, so far, the Go gets an B+ to A rating from me, the only issue being the inking problem that I suspect will be resolved. I'll post a sample of my inking when I get a chance.

I think it's tethered through Bluetooth.

djas and JoeS like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which cover do you have? The Backwards issue I'm having is with the black $99 cover. Here's a pic showing my issue.

keyboard2.jpg

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is not like this is going to be my go-to mobile setup in any way. I'm just by naturw a curious gal that likes to figure out the limit of what I can do with all my tech. But I have to admit that doing research at a library or museum it would be kind of sweet to have a setup like that.

In my mind I'm already checking out possible USB solutions to hook up the Vivo Note. If I'm only going to write Word on the Go (sounds like a middle aged cover band) will be sufficient. And light.

8. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

Should I leave S mode

I am having problems with OneNote 16 on the Go in S mode but not on my Pro. Specifically in OneNote on the Go I can’t open a PDF with Edge but I can open the same document in edge on the Pro. Sod you 1.5 hours on phone with MS and they gave up. I completely reinstalled windows and office 365 and same problem. The only thing different between the Go and Pro is S mode. To further complicate this I can open a PDF in the mobile version of Onenote.

Do you think S Mode is causing the problem,?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Bronsky

A few quick things. Haven't paired my Pro 4 pen with the Go yet and inking is horrible. I'll have to try it after pairing. With the Go pen, hooks show up in Drawboard as well. It is not unique to OneNote.

I also ran Crystaldisk again. With Bitlocker, write speeds are down and without they are back up. I wonder if this is affecting performance when using bitlocker? Is the drive performing at 20%.

Best of all, I was using the Go in Portrait orientation and it is perfect in that orientation. The size, weight and balance of this device is in the sweet spot.

10. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Over a month now without any updates or fixes to the ink issues. I know math is hard, but copy and paste man, reuse some of that code... :)
    I want to love this device...