Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

If you have the Lumia Dock it works really well with the Go - this plugged into a HD Monitor that is also Touch Enabled.

[​IMG]

djas likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Funny, mine is just the opposite. The initial activation pressure is spot-on. It feels like writing with a roller ball pen. I have the hooks and other blotches. I'm sure Microsoft will ultimately resolve this. For now, since I really only annotate and mark-up with my pen, it's okay.

As I'm getting used to the keyboard, it is getting much more fluid typing. But, I would not want to have large hands.

Here it is … all set up and ready to work. Bought yesterday and completely set up at the office in minutes. Setup was relatively painless. Desk feels roomier without that bulky S3 dock. Signing documents on the Go should be easier with the adjustable kickstand. Love the size of the Go when it is out of harness.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nice, I was wondering about this. Does it charge the Go at all, or is the voltage insufficient?

djas likes this.
  4. djas

djas Graffiti User

That sure looks nice. Whatever you do to the S3 then btw? You're retiring it?

By now you should know I'm an inker and wireless proponent, so lost the HDMI cable, wired keyboard/mouse and go Miracast and BT/Wireless USB KM instead. Also bring the Go closer so you can ink.... ;) just imho.

Other than the Pen inking issue, how does the Go go (ha!) compared to the S3 for you? To me, overall performance feels preppy on both 4/64 & 8/128 both running Pro S Mode in our ongoing trial.

I'm curious for the perspective from users like you who are BYOD professionals. TIA

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Yes, the only thing plugged into the dock besides the monitor was the USB cable for the touchscreen, but everything including charging was working.

JoeS likes this.
  6. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd be interested in you circling back to let us know if your CrystalMark results stay up on your SG. Mine fell after a day or so, but I have Bitlocker on.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, I'm back Stateside from my month long European Odyssey. Certainly I was looking in, but not really posting much here during my trip. More so because of general exhaustion from exploring then anything else.

So.....Month Long Euro Trip with Both my Surface Go and the Galaxy Book 10.6........how did it go you might wonder.....to sum it all up....I could have.....and probably should have left my Galaxy Book at home. The Go's size/kickstand made it as perfect a travel tablet as I could have hoped for. To the small size Keyboard was initially a concern, but I was able to adapt to it in short time. (Not that I really did much typing to be honest), and like most of my trips...I didn't really get around to doing much of any artwork.

However there were more then a few problems and issues I had with it......aside from the Pen....(which we all know the general consensus on that.)

My biggest issue with the GO.....was the USB-C charging. I took on my trip the Go's standard Charger, but I also brought along my Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy Book 10.6 USB-C chargers, along with 2 portable USB-C Battery packs. I was almost considering leaving the Surface Charger at home figuring I would just charge by USB-C, thankfully I didn't. Although it would say "Charging or Plugged in"......none of my Samsung/USB-C Chargers would actually charge the Go. I thought perhaps maybe it was my Voltage Convertors/Plug Adapters.......but all the Galaxy devices charged perfectly fine. The Battery pack chargers also did not charge the Go. Once I got home......I tried my Mobile Studio Pro Charger......and that did perfectly (and quickly) charge my Surface Go. As much as I'm glad to see USB-C charging in a Surface device.....they pretty much crippled its overall use.........the easy USB-C charging is one of the Galaxy Books greatest strengths......its somewhat sad to see the GO is limited to only more powerful USB-C chargers.....and clearly not at all compatible with battery packs. I could understand if it was using a much more powerful core i5 or i7 processor....but this thing only has a Pentium Gold.....making it less powerful then the Core m3 in the Galaxy Book....so the limitation to only more powerful USB-C chargers is somewhat perplexing, unnecessary, and extremely disappointing.

My next (Minor) grievance is with the keyboard. Not the typing experience itself, but rather using the keyboard in reverse. If I'm attempting to draw on my Surface Pro or Go......or just using it in tablet mode......one thing I like to do is put the keyboard on backwards.....the flat bottom of the keyboard helps keep the device from slipping around (depending on the surface its on), and resting the kickstand in-between the keys can help slightly secure the kickstand in its position. Also for Lap usage, the flat bottom is way more comfy over your leg then the kickstand digging into your leg. With the Surface Pro 3, 4, & nSP keyboards....this was never a problem....the keyboard would always clip on backwards with no problem. Not so much the case with the GO. It mostly does.....but with my $99 Black keyboard.....it doesn't clip on backwards fully evenly.....the right side of the keyboard just does not want to clip in fully....you can still use it like this....but it makes the device kind of uneven (admittedly very slightly) and its overall more of an eyesore and annoyance. It could just be my keyboard......but can anyone else attach their keyboard on backwards fully and evenly flush?

I've also had a couple of Windows based gltiches. At one point in my trip my Micro-SD card slot stopped working. I thought the SD card itself died....but when I tried another SD card....it wouldn't work either. I was worried the card slot itself died....but thankfully a Windows update corrected this problem....but I'm somewhat worried why that happened in the first place. Interestingly enough.....today I took my Micro SD card slot from my GO and put it into my nSP.....and the micro SD Card slot in my nSP also doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I'm a month behind on Windows update.....so I'm assuming whatever temporally disabled my Go's SD card slot is probably the same thing causing the same problem with my Pro. Its currently enduring its updates so I hope that it corrects that like the it did for the Go. But I was briefly using my Pro....the morning I left for my trip. I was transferring files into the SD Card on my Pro with no problem, and then using the SD Card with the GO. So I"m not sure why a month of inactivity would suddenly disable the SD card slot.

Another small glitch I'm having......this started last week during my trip.....for some reason there is a delay in changing the displays brightness. Like I'll change it from Brightest to Dark.....and it can take anywhere from 20 seconds to 4 minutes for the change to take effect. I played with all the settings....made sure automatic brightness was off.....and ran windows update.....but this problem is still persisting.

Bronsky, thierryb, yodamiked and 4 others like this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Sweet thinking. I decided to pack the big bag today and brought along my Toshiba Encore Write 2 as well as my Logitech K810 (I have two. Yes, I'm a very, very, sick puppy) and used the Miracast idea. It worked nicely. Took a while to set up though. Changing rotations and before I found the right screen resolution (take it down in a memo, gonna carry it on my phone for the next time). There is just a tad of lag when moving the mouse, so I'm guessing HD movies aren't recommended. But for doing actual work it was an amazingly powerful experience. And I'm not talking about carrying around all that equipment. It also means that a BT keyboard with the capability to connect to three devices might not be necessary, but at least two. I want to have a connection to the iPad if required (the Smart Keyboard is getting flakey) to write on it. Not a fan of OSK.

Really appreciate the idea and advice. Now I just need to get something to clean my grimy keyboard with.

djas likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Soo, after a few hours of frustrating experimentation I've come to the conclusion that the Miracast function will let you connect to one external device, but not two. Don't know if that is a limitation in the Miracast protocol or Microsoft's implementation of it.
    So I'll still need my BT keyboard that will connect with three externa devices. Luckily, because off course iOS doesn't support it, I can get by with a mouse that only let's me connect with two devices. My Ultrathin let's me do that, but the switch is on the bottom. Not exactly the smartest solution.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

omg! devices overload.

Sorry, but yeah can only Miracast-project your screen to a single screen/monitor (Miracast sink). Its a limitation of the protocol I think and for my usage that is what I need: as a 2nd screen.

However yours is a unique use case. Gosh, that's way too many devices with 4 (four) different pen techs. Not much you can do about the iPad less just using it in portrait mode with the Pencil as a dedicated inking notebook while using the other 3 WX devices connected maybe with Synergy or Mouse without Borders. I'm stumped.

At a stretch, at home I do this if I need more screens:

resizeScreens.png

One last thing, check this out for a portable monitor:

5 USB-Powered Portable Monitors

Starlight5 likes this.