Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My Surface 3 gave up for me. I was loosing touch. It was becoming a PITA. We'll see how it goes.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm suspicious of this story.
    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I could have just run it over. I'm liking this new Go.

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I decide to check in right now and I see the eternal patience of the guy who has epitomized “wait and hope” buying the Go. Has the delicate balance of the universe been swayed and are we now in danger of oblivion? This is serious! What happened?! Bronsky, what about the LTE unit you had your heart set on? You cannot let us down now. ;) Just joking. Congratulations on the much needed replacement for your ailing Surface 3. Enjoy!

JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  5. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I’m curious what your inking experience is like. I am still not happy with it.

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Everyone remain calm now. All hope's not lost for humanity. @Bronsky's got a plan, just go with the flow .
    Congrats@Bronsky, you have merited it. However, my advice still stands, if it's got a 30-day return window, use it as if it's on lease and be ready to return it if the LTE version is out by then.
    Now for the info on your first hand experience.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

As I'm slowly getting used to moving my portable computing away from the iPad Pro 9.7 to the Surface Go I constantly encounter differences that may be worth noting.

Connecting through my Google account on Safari used be a breeze, not so much anymore. Despite checking all the boxes about remembering my settings, it requires a complete login including 2nd degree authentication. I do that with Google Authenticator on my Galaxy Note. And yes, every time I'm about to enter the six digit number code there is only 10 seconds left so when I'm about to enter the last three digits I get stressed and inevitably get one of the wrong and have to redo the whole process.

Contrast this with Microsofts login. It used to be a real PITA, and a strong reason I stopped carrying my SP3 around. They have obviously fixed that, you just connect, it takes you to a login screen and then Microsoft Connect (guessing from the URL) does the rest. A bit slow the first few times, but once it has established your identity it is the same breeze that Safari used to be.

Windows Hello is a new experience, wasn't available on the SP3. I will say it works so so. Probably on par with iOS fingerprint recognition. It doesn't get your face in backlight, or if lying down, or coming out of the shower. But iOS fingerprint can't read your fingers if they are wet or greasy, so that is fairly equivalent. Hello is on its first generation and the hardware isn't the problem, hence, it should have some room for improvement.

One thing you as a user need to be aware of, especially since many of us will use it as a tablet and log on holding it in portrait mode, it is way too easy to hold a finger over the camera and block Hello recognition. The logon screen doesn't remind you of this. You'd think they'd programmed it so if it is totally black for the camera it would gently ask you if you are blocking the camera.

Another little complaint of mine is the shape of the kickstand. Instead of going all the way out to the short sides it could be asymmetrical and thus give you two options for standing it in portrait mode. Practical for long typing sessions. This is a simple design decision, one that I feel Apple would not have botched. Not a deal breaker by any means, but an unnecessary simple oversight.

On the positive sight, the screen is in every aspect as good as the iPP screen. And yes, the Apple screen has a lot more pixels, a million more, but it isn't anything your eyes get hung up on. It is as bright and viewable in daylight, one of the iPP's strong assets. One difference is that Apple's True Tone will turn on automatically, with the Go you have to do it manually.

The IPad battery is still better, but only marginally. The Go, especially running Home S provides a whole day of computing without need to top it off, will it do that a year from now? We'll have to wait and see.

hiramkey, dstrauss and Mesosphere like this.
  8. djas

djas Graffiti User

Congrats on the new Go.

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  9. djas

djas Graffiti User

How does this works? 3 different pen tech on those 3 devices. Is that why you need the BT keyboard and mouse? Pen computing supposed to lessen our load, I thought?

This is me writing this post while sitting at company's cafeteria:

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-04 at 11.54.20.jpeg

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Try going into the Settings app and adding more angles to enhance detection. Try including side profiles and upward and downward head positions and with and without glasses (if applicable). Be sure to do this from every possible orientation of the tablet (0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees). I went all out like that and now the only time Hello ever struggles is in the direct sunlight due to the natural IR interference. It can literally recognize me perhaps 10 feet away or more even when walking past it on a desk and then unlock itself in a split second.

Kumabjorn likes this.