Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Fantasy Computing, where grown men go to become boys again.

Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Watching him try to justify the switch to AES is just plain painful!

Telstar1948 and lovelaptops like this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Is it just me, or are people getting funnier on these pages lately. I love how much laughing we are are turning on ourselves or - from Japan - on others

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually, fantasy love hotels are real in Japan and they can get very creative too. So I heard

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

kneehowguys likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Soo..., WX Home S or Pro? 50 days to decide. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'm guessing that most on this board will go with Pro. It offers all the legacy software (remember when it was called that; software?) and I freely admit that the temptation is there. I have utilities that enable me to plug in an external monitor, or use my iPad as an extra monitor. I have all my music on Google Music and that requires an x86 utility in Windows. I could go on.

Despite all this I'm actually leaning towards staying in the S pasture. I can all hear you screaming; "Women, they're nuts", at your screens. But there is actually a rationale for it. The Go will be my most mobile device, right up there with the iPP, thus it will connect to a lot of public WiFi spots. And yes, I'm a proponent of prophylactic computing, I use caution and have safe computing. But what is that dude with dreadlocks and eyes that he hasn't shut since last Tuesday doing over in that corner at Starbucks? Is he sitting and scanning everybody connected to their router? Knowing that the Go will be as safe as the iPP has major appeal. And if S users are a small minority we'll never see new apps developed for the platform.

Supposedly it also comes with some benefits for battery time. Not that I'm holding my breath. But yes, it would be nice if it translated into another 20 % battery time. As it is now I can go a whole day with some serious computing and switching between desktops and routers and still do my research in bed with the pen in one hand and not run dry. I'm not sure I'm willing to lose that just for a few utilities. It will however force me to re-learn some bad habits. One will be to use more virtual desktops and hence, remembering the keyboard shortcuts to switch between them. Another might be to bring the iPP along as an auxiliary device. I use LINE a fair amount (Japan's Skype) and I don't like their Windows version. I tested doing that today and brought along one of those ubiquitous Bluetooth foldable keyboards that can be connected to up to three devices simultaneously and then you switch between the with a key combination. Yes, sometimes you type half a sentence and wonder why Go won't show it when you realize that you're stil connected to the iPP. But with some practice I believe I can manage. If that works I might look into getting a somewhat larger keyboard, as long as it fits in my purse (actually I should look into getting a bigger purse so I can have both devices in the same bag).

Obviously I can't be sure unless I do switch, but compared with the experience I've had with my SP3 it seems like S manages the whole standby, instant on thing a lot better. Push the power button and let Halo find your face and you're in. It has done it in rather dark rooms without a problem, but not when I'm in bed, unless I sit up. I guess facial features get flattened or something.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I hope this doesn't ruin your day, but ifaik WIndows 10 S only limits what software is authorized to do on your machine. So you would be better protected from malware, but that dude at Starbucks is still able to sniff unencrypted network traffic. Thankfully more and more websites use secure http so at least there is less and less to sniff.

7. djas

djas Graffiti User

I think that's why LTE are getting more popular due to us workers being increasingly mobile nowadays. Or use work-supplied sim data tethering very much like I'm required to use when out of office or while abroad. We are not allowed to connect to public WiFi. Even at home, I am required to set my Surface 3 wifi settings as metered or tethered to work phone. Work gives me 30GB of 4G data per month. Surface 3 is running Pro S Mode.

I'm alright with the restrictions as I'm not paying a cent.... :)

8. Kumabjorn

I get that he can sniff the router, but it's not like I'm going to do my banking at Starbucks. The way I understand it is that he won't be able to install spyware or malware on my computer if running S. Or is that a misunderstanding?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

JoeS likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

upload_2018-9-2_11-12-28.png

10. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

upload_2018-9-2_11-17-27.png