Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe they could arrange a little quid pro quo with Amazon, integrating Alexa in exchange for Kindle book compatibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovelaptops, WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Just checking in at the end of the month. Any news yet on the LTE model? I have a family member who is looking forward to it to replace her aging iPad Air.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm really excited and can't stop thinking about the Yoga 2. If the core M3 version with LTE is significantly cheaper than the i5, I might seriously think of selling the GB 10.6 and getting it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, if it supports my Kindle books this device becomes a lot easier to justify (subtract the cost of a large Kindle / add that to the value of the device).

Things which would make me want to buy this on day one:

- Wacom Feel driver support
    - Microsoft fixing the stylus so that one can select text w/o gymnastics or a side button
    - an ebook reader mode which allows reading Kindle books on the e-ink screen in a low power mode
    - a low-power note-taking mode on the e-ink display which is integrated w/ an app which would accept screens of information from the e-ink screen as they're finished
    - good GPS and mapping support on the e-ink side
    - the ability to run Windows apps on the e-ink screen only --- I need a replacement for my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 which I'm still using to control a CNC machine when I use it on the back deck

5. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW, I impulsively purchased an original Yoga Book (Android version) when Walmart started clearing them out at a bargain basement price. I found two significant issues that prevent using it in any mode other than as a tablet:
    • the keyboard did not work for me
    • When resting on a flat surface, the device slides around very easily
    I now use it exclusively as a digital picture frame.

The new Yoga Book apparently has the same sliding around problem. It was very noticeable in the CNET video.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Great thought. Sounds a bit too logical to work!

Edit: On further consideration: of all the big players, Amazon is the one that - so far - acts the most rationally, logically and, as far as consumers are concerned, most like they care about pleasing their customers. Plus they are entirely straightforward - as far as I can tell - about their "secondary gain," using their Amazon branded hardware products for promoting sales of other Amazon products and general retail purchases on Amazon.com, rather than surreptitious about stealing your privacy and personal data to sell to others. Whatever personal data they grab they unabashedly use to (instantaneously) present ads for products on Amazon.com. Somehow I think that passes for "refreshingly honest" in the tech industry circa 2018.

So yeah, if you give them the opportunity to advertise on the e-ink screen they might well be willing to license Kindle text to the Yoga Book 2.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Tams and dstrauss like this.
  7. lovelaptops

Allow me to challenge:

1) Even though losing EMR?
    2) Even though losing attachable mechanical keyboard?

Just wondering. I can see letting go of the keyboard issues if the use case is primarily tablet-oriented, but then the pen becomes that much more important. Or do you use your GB primarily as a reading device?

8. nnthemperor

Pretty valid considerations, but AFAIK AES is not much of a tradeoff. Used it on the HPE8N and again on the DV8P. I even have my Wacom dual protocol pen.
    No too sure about the second point until I try typing on it. Not the fastest typer (typist?) around though, but I'll take the coolness factor over the more functional mechanical KB. The Yoga would be lapable compared to the origami GB10.6, plus I've still got my SB.

9. lovelaptops

It's a personal decision and you owe no one - least of all me! - a justification. I was just curious; I've been taken aback by the overwhelming enthusiasm for the device, solely based on my own criteria. Enjoy!

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. nnthemperor

I understand. At the end of the day, I don't think the device offers much in value over the GB10.6, but it's the tech lust that's driving all that enthusiasm that you see. At that price range too, I might just be more in love with the fantasy of having the device than with actually having it.

lovelaptops likes this.