Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsoft is introducing a new Surface tomorrow:

Surface Go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Price: Starting at $399
    CPU: Intel Pentium Gold Processor 4415Y
    Display: 1800x1200, 10'', 3:2 aspect ratio
    RAM: 64GB eMMC, 128GB SSD, 256 SSD
    Ports: Surface Connect, USB Type-C, MicroSDXC, 3.5mm headphone jack
    Size: 9.6 x 6.9 x 0.3 inches
    Weight: 1.2 pounds, 1.7 pounds with Type Cover
    Consumer OS: Windows 10 Home in S Mode
    Commerical OS: Windows 10 Pro (S Mode configurable)

There will be a two different Type Cover: Polyurethane and Alcantara

Source: Tom'sHardware

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"Businesses and schools buying the device will get Windows 10 Pro"

"In stores, the laptop will come with Windows 10 Home in S Mode"​

It also says the "commercial" (store) models will be $50 more—then $50 more if you want Win10 Pro. Quoting $399 when that's strictly in the business and education channels strikes me as deceptive advertising.

If this goes on... I can see it now: "Surface Go 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD starting at $299!" with an asterisk to tiny print on the bottom: "Must validate Peace Corp volunteer activity for at least one continuous year in Tasmania."
    :rolleyes:

Edit: Nevermind, that Tom's Hardware embargo-breaking article had the prices reversed. According to MJ Foley it's $399 for the consumer 64 GB Windows S/Home SKU, $50 more for the business SKU with Win10 Pro.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    JoeS, YVerloc, efjay and 2 others like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oops.. :D

Great addition to the product line, but the bezel looks very 2014.

Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My thought exactly. It won't stop me from buying one but … really MS.

Power is through a power port not the USB-C? Wonder if this is dock-able.

Best typing experience ever on a Surface?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I guess I was wrong when I said no Core M, as that's basically what this Pentium Gold is (minus turbo boost). I'll gladly admit to being wrong though, it's not the first time. :D

In all honesty, the recent rumors this week didn't make much sense in that the Pentium Silver Gemini Lake uses a different pin configuration than Pentium Gold, so Pentium Gold for all versions makes more sense.

Really interesting that they're keeping both USB-C and Surface Connect. Personally I'd rather two USB-C though I am sure I'm in a minority there. Weird resolution too. I'd have expected 1920 by whatever makes it 3:2, just so that it can properly display full HD content. 8GB/128GB for $550 seems like the sweet spot for sure.

Looks like a decent device, but for me personally I've just gotten way too used to using the same EMR pen in my tablet and phone. But otherwise it's nice.

dstrauss, DRTigerlilly and JoeS like this.
  6. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the bezel is because of the bigger keyboard. It was similar with the Surface 3.

JoeS likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is that the real device? Where are the rounded corners?
    Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Agreed, 8GB/128GB @ $550 ($599) is the sweet spot (particularly since the 256 SSD is coming later). I figured we'd get one CPU choice. Pentium Gold makes perfect sense.

Is Surface connect the dock connection?

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looking at the diffuse reflection off the sides it does seem to have a gentle curve:

upload_2018-7-9_16-28-17.png

The corners are seem to be a tad less pointy:

upload_2018-7-9_16-29-25.png

Unfortunately it looks like it's still uncomfortable to grip right under the kickstand, I still see sharp-edged bits there, just past the edge of the connector:

upload_2018-7-9_16-30-30.png

As for the device, yes, I'm sure this is the real thing, these are from a leaked article prepped for after the release tomorrow. Major booboo by Tom's Hardware.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    sonichedgehog360 and nnthemperor like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My first impression.....The side with the USB-C port.....I'm kind of ammazed at how much of a dead ringer this is for the Galaxy Book 10.6......the color, the edges....from the side just it looks like a Galaxy Book.

And while I would have preferred 2 USB-C ports....I actually like that it has the Surface Connector in addition to the port. A few times with my single USB-C for everything Galaxy Book....I have run into issues where the single port has been an issue......like wanting to use a SSD or external 2nd monitor and still keep the device charged...(without unwanted dongles and hubs).....this certainly looks like a preferable arrangement. I do hope however that the device can still be charged with USB-C. To remove that feature would kind of cripple it.

I do agree that the Bezel looks a bit....2014.....was probably done for the keyboard comfort....but I would have rather they crammed a slightly larger screen into that case....like a 10.6 would easily fit in there.

Also glad they aren't even bothering with the Pentium Silvers....keeping it at gold makes it overall a stronger product since the performance will be universally the same (Beyond Ram and Storage at least)

Also I think the price points are quite fair. A $150 bump for double the Ram and Storage is decent, more so for the Ram.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.