Surface Go - Using it as Your Only Computer

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Welcome to Japan. ようこそ!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tams, Bronsky and djas like this.
  2. djas

djas Graffiti User

Arigato. I'm glad to be there too (just wish the family gets to come along)....:)

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. nnthemperor

Yeah, going back and forth that distance could be tiring, but if you're only here for a year, it's not worth full relocation, that itself could be a while new form of headache.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

djas likes this.
  4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I bought a Surface Go at the end of May to evaluate it as an augmentation to the HP Elite X2 1012 so I would not need to tote the X2 around everywhere. The 12" screen is not really too big and for the most part I used it for the last 3 years as my only. I had recently been travelling, however, and the X2 does not fit on the airline tray table very well. The battery life was also getting to be an issue. After 3 years of daily use the charge was only lasting about 4 or 5 hours. So I wanted to give the ultraportable Surface Go a run to see if it would make a worthy daily tote. I have the 256 GB business model with the keyboard and the new Surface pen. I like how it magnetically sticks itself on the end...I always know where it is,

I was approaching the 30 day return period this past week and as usual I had the thoughts in my head whether I should send it back or not. It is a nicer machine than my old Surface 3 which I have been using as a chartplotter on the sailboat, but would it be worth it to keep the Go for a travel puter and chartplotter only?

As a final check I picked my X2 back up and the Elite X2 1012 made up my mind for me...after 3 years of daily use and using that marvel of an i7 machine just about a week ago to edit a movie the machine was DEAD. So I have now been thrust into the 'only' category with the Surface Go...at least until I can figure out what the heck is going on with the X2. I have important stuff on that machine!

As soon as I get some time I will need to figure out what the heck is up with it. In the meantime the Go is working out quite well for the normal day-to-day stuff.

I just want to know what secret software routine broadcasts from the Surface over bluetooth or wifi to kill the other machines in its proximity. I cannot imagine what I would have done if the X2 quit in the middle of a meeting at work or something...that would have been bad.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@dceggert - so do you think the SG could be your solo computer (not by necessity but design)?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hi Dan,

Funny, last year I was waiting for the Go LTE but my old Surface 3 gave out. Maybe there's something to this.

I've had mine since last September as my one and only and I am very pleased with this little device. Of course, my needs are few and I have access to more power in the office if I need it.

Sorry to hear about the Elite. They are user serviceable?

My real question, however, is what software are you using on your Surface 3 for chart plotting? Do you have an LTE version or are you using a dongle. I'm looking at them now. I'm almost finished a very long refit of a 26' sailboat and will be putting it in this year. I was first thinking about an iPad as a chart plotter because they get so much love online but have been thinking that my Go should be fine in that role and the kickstand would be perfect for sitting it on the chart table. What software are you using? Do you use an autohelm? Puck or dongle for the GPS?

[​IMG]

djas and dstrauss like this.
  7. nnthemperor

Is this the inside of your boat or the Airforce One?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  8. dceggert

It is doing pretty well for everything except photo editing and movie making. But, I have not tried those yet.

I have no doubt that Gimp would work fine on it for photos, but my Corel Video Studio chokes the X2 with its m7/8GB. I will eventually try it though and see.

I used a USB C hub that has a HDMI connection on the end of it to project on the big screen at work a couple of weeks ago. Next up will be to try the wifi HDMI adaptor so I can walk the room with it in my hand. It works with the TV at home so it should work in the conference room too. Pretty neat little device.

9. dceggert

Yup, I will just need time to figure it out. I still have the m5 one as well with the busticated case so if push comes to shove I will exchange ssd's and retrieve my files.

For navigation I use Open CPN. The charts are free from NOAA in either Raster (RNC look like the printed charts) or Vector (ENC look like true electronic) formats. They display and update well on the Go. Here is dual mode showing a close view in ENC on the left and a wider view in RNC on the right.
    [​IMG]

You can plan a trip, set waypoints, record tracks, interface with the network for autopilot control and instrument repeating. And it's free!

I have yet to research NEMA dongles.

I got this universal RAM tablet mount and it will clamp to the pulpit rail. It also shows the screen in single ENC mode.
    [​IMG]

The S3 had display and update issues in single screen mode, the Go has no issues in dual mode so this is gonna be cool!

10. dceggert

I forgot to mention, the LTE version has GNSS so there is a utility to use that as the GPS signal. On the S3 I used a GlobalSat BT transceiver which also works good with the Go. Using the internal source is pretty cool though.