Surface Go - Using it as Your Only Computer

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

For clarification - the "nearly flawless" came from a few restart hiccups from sleep mode when I first set it up. In all fairness, as you say, it has been flawless since, including seeing and setting up my finicky HP Laserjet 4250 that uses a parallel to USB A adapter cable (so it using one of those virtual USB ports which gave my Galaxy Book 12 and HP Spectre Folio so many headaches).

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

The dock is a higher bandwidth connection, but more important for perceptions of lag and overall performance, unlike USB-C with the dock it's a lot more difficult for one misbehaving device to drag the whole system down because it manages device contention much better.

As to the Book 2 working like an EGPU sadly not in this iteration. If they do move to TB3 though it could. And they could still conceivably use the same dock connector since the TB3 spec no longer mandates the use and inclusion of the current TB3/USB-C type connector

3. dstrauss

For all you "full-timers" what's your software load (and separately, your opinion on OneNote vs OneNote 2016)?

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm strictly OneNote, I used to use OneNote 2016 for organizational and integration features but all of that is built into the OneNote App now...the UWP pen engine is better than the Office one (which technically is deprecated).

The rest of load is Office365 Pro Plus with Visio, DrawboardPDF, Kindle UWP, PowerBI Mobile and I loaded Vivaldi for times I need to use a web site that misbehaves under Edge. I have all the other pen programs installed but use them very seldom...

5. dstrauss

So - no Chrome pollution? It's funny, but I'm not seeing a speed difference between Chrome and Edge on my SGo. If someone is a Chrome junky that shouldn't keep them from going SGo.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Go's Software load:

Office 365 (I have given up and went with OneNote UWP over OneNote 2016), Outlook (Calendar and Email synced with my Secretary's Outlook), Drawboard (annotation and mark-up), Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 (relegated to organizing large document productions and inserting Bates Numbers in scanned document productions), Drop Box, Acronis, OneDrive, Skype, Google Earth Pro, MS Whiteboard, LEXIS Advance, Lexis Counsel Connect, QuickBooks Pro and Timeslips.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. jnjroach

Ironically I'm starting a project tomorrow where I will need to use a Chromebook and GSuite :) Only Google services on this project...learning curve for realz

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you intend to use a pen with it, you want back support on the top of the stand so it doesn't slide down towards the table when you start writing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  9. jnjroach

It has little hooks - that is exactly how I use it :)

dstrauss and Kumabjorn like this.
  10. dstrauss

The Zen of Bronsky

During all my recent (last four years? :vbrolleyes:) failures in finding "The One," our good friend @Bronsky has been a steady influence being faithful to only two devices - the Surface 3 and Surface Go (which is really Surface 4). He is running a successful legal practice without the additional stress of computer anxiety - how do I live with mine...:vbeek:

Believe it or not, I would like to at least get half-way to the Zen of Bronsky, and I'm beginning to believe the computer gods are forcing my hand (to the point they "stole" my last attempt while in transit). No computer I've tried since last October has succeeded, and each time I end back up with my Samsung Galaxy Book 12. That got me to wondering, could the GB12 be my Surface 3/4? I know I've traveled this path before (no need to point out my countless - and fruitless - prior posts on this) but it occurred to me that the GB12 keeps coming back like that comfortable old pair of brown loafers you meant to throw out when you got your new shiny ones. They fit; they are comfortable; and getting wet won't "ruin" them anymore.

I sense that same comfort in folks like @jnjroach , @Mesosphere , and others on this forum - if you find something that works for you stick with it. So I'm going to give that a try for a while and see how the loafers hold up. Of course my head will turn towards each new shiny metal object they set before me

[​IMG]

especially if an Intel version of the Galaxy Book2 ever drops, but I'm going to try to tone it down a bit for now (and give my AMEX a little R&R in the process)...:thumbsup::hi:

PS - I abandoned the iPad Pro 10.5 experiment as well - the GB12 handles iTunes well, and if Apple is not going to include PC owner's in their News update (ie - no Texture for you!) then it's "no money to Apple" for this old dog...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    nnthemperor, JoeS, Mesosphere and 3 others like this.