Surface Go - Using it as Your Only Computer

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pen experience is definitely better than the SB1, in fact it's as good as AES.

Sent from mTalk

Edit: Apologies Dale, saw your request after my post. I use my SG a lot more on the go (no pun intended). Work in the education, so it's mainly for reading research papers, and marking up PDFs. My SB1's become my desktop now, as it never leaves home.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If I needed to in a pinch I could use the Go as my only and primary device. I had it connected to my Surface Dock and it ran three external monitors as well as my SP3. If I did it I'd probably put it on some stand so I could have it in portrait mode (well reversed portrait due to the Surface Connector) and most likely use it as my primary OneNote display. The only thing I found a tad troublesome that the whole mode switching thing seems to be run by Ringling Brothers. There is a USB monitor, four USB storage units, a USB microphone set and a scanner connected to the Dock. Unplugging the Dock and it seems like an announcement for the elephants to come in, and when you plug it in it is time for the lions.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

@dstrauss: I do not have a Go, however I have a Surface 3 for the last 3 plus years and is my only computer. Am I allowed to post my work usage here. I reckon if I can do work on the S3, the same workflow will perform better on the Go, isn't it?

nnthemperor, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes - please do - if you could do it with Surface 3, it should be directly applicable to Surface Go. And be sure to give us a view on the paperless perspective...

@Kumabjorn - really like that idea of a portrait stand - need to give it a try.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

dstrauss likes this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm not seeing that issue - I'm also on Insider Fast Builds so if their was regression on 1809 I'm unaware, I'm on the 1903 Builds currently.

7. dstrauss

jnjroach likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Funny, I am the poster boy for a thread like this and everything is just so seamless with my Go that I don't have a lot to say.

My backup seems to run better (a.k.a faster) from the USB-C to 1TB HD Backup. I am using Acronis. I use it normally with the dock but decided I wanted the capability to back up on the road.

Maybe that explains the difference in pen performance. I still get an occasional hook or two. Hopefully, we are in for significant improvements by the time we see 1903.

9. dstrauss

Thanks for checking in. Good advice on using the USB-C port for backups. The WD I bought included a USB-A adapter so I guess I'll leave that in the dock and make it a mobile solution as well.

PS - I know some folks are having docking problems, but the dock with my SGo has been nearly flawless and I know (perceive) that the system performance is snappier than when I used the USB-C as the hub for MST daisy-chaining the monitors and serving as the USB hub. Maybe I'm just wanting to see that - but there is even less lag in Chrome and moving windows between screens. I wonder if the Surface Connector delivers more bandwidth than USB-C alone?

PPS - I thought I remember being schooled on this before by our resident expert @jnjroach :

What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

The Surface Connector does deliver more bandwidth - I guess it's not just wishful thinking on my part in what I am seeing...WAIT - so does that mean the Nvidia's in the Surface Book and SB2 are basically eGPU's? :eek:

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Mine has been "flawless", not "nearly flawless". It is one of the things I liked best about the Go. Plug and play.