Surface Go - Using it as Your Only Computer

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm hoping users like @Bronsky and @jnjroach will be active here to give their insight on using the Surface Go as their primary or only device, along with tips and tricks to make that work. I've been back to playing with an SGo LTE while awaiting my (delayed again) HP Elite X2 1013. That's not good, because I am enjoying the heck out of the little engine that could, particularly due to some suggestions over at the general Surface Go thread.

Please keep this to insights on using it as your main/only device and tips or tricks to make that work as smoothly as possible. That doesn't mean to exclude items that are keeping you from doing that, because thanks to @jnjroach for his tip on the old UWP Kindle app it took one of my big gripes away:

UWP Kindle App: If you previously owned (have the original Kindle app in your Microsoft Store Library - the one with the orange K on a black icon) you can re-enable it by selecting Install, using your credentials for Amazon (which will fail) but within 10-15 minutes Amazon will send you a one time code to login and re-enable. I really prefer it to the Win32 app or reading online.

Surface Pro Dock: this one may just be my perception, and not reality, but I have two WQHD (2560x1440) USB-C/DP monitors, a HP Printer, Ethernet, wired keyboard, and USB-A 2TB backup HDD. While I can run all of these from the USB-C port on the SGo, they all seem more responsive, and less of a drag on the SGo, now that I hooked them up to the Surface Dock, with each monitor getting its own mini-DP port, rather than USB-C MST daisy chain. Right now docks are selling for $135 on eBay, and used on eBay for $85-$110. I have to say, though, that if you have a monitor that accepts USB-C, supports Power Delivery, and has a USB hub built in (like the Samsung SH850), it can work as a dock and will charge your Surface Go.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If you can do without the Dock, so much better for you. My experience with two monitors on the Book 2 is that it's still trash.
    Windows Hello many times doesn't work with it and when it doesn't work there's a strong chance you will get a bluescreen.

3. dstrauss

I'm only using two 2k monitors, but have not had that problem on the Surface Dock with Surface Pro 4, Surface Books 1 & 2, nor the Surface Go.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I have had all sort of problems with the dock and both the Surface Book 1 and 2.
    To be certain the displays don't go crazy when I wake the pc from sleep I also started not turning them off when the computer is sleeping: I leave them on and just let them go to standby.

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Is the pen experience par for the course?

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

For me the key is due to how my life as a consultant is driven by being away from desk in meetings with delivery teams and customers and I need a device for note taking and creating straw-persons, my requirements are fairly light, I need Office 365, PDF Annotating and Web Browsing. The Surface Go supports my telephony and conferencing needs through Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business. Office 365 is really the only Win32 Application I use...

I use one 4K External Monitor through the Surface Dock with a Surface Arc Mouse and Keyboard while at my desk, I keep the Go in portrait mode for note taking and mark-up.

On the occasions I need more power, I have a Development and Test VM in Azure but I only needed it once.

I wish I would have waited for LTE model and I wished I got more that 6ish hours of battery life. Also, I think if I had to do it over I would have left it in S mode...

7. dstrauss

For me it is as good as the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Books (1&2), but it does leave some tiny "hooks" on the end of some letters. I can't replicate that per se, it just happens some times. It is not a deal breaker.

With regard to @jnjroach 's comments - I do enjoy having LTE (used it at my grandson's swim meet inside a huge metal building - 50 meter facility) and battery life is ok - haven't stressed it yet beyond 4 hours or so.

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I use the pen heavily without issue - but I'm a note taker and diagrammer not an artist...but I do draw for fun with it. Most of the pen issues were fixed via the Firmware Updates.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

um....might want to recheck that. I though like a month or so ago....some of the pen problems seemed ironed out....but I was trying to draw on the Go the other night.....and the fishhook problem seemed back with a vengeance. 7+ months after release.....from an Artist perspective....the Go's Pen performance is still very subpar, and I'm comparing this directly to the Pro 5 which I've been using alot for art lately.

10. dstrauss

Say folks - major league thread hijacker here - but could we keep this to how people make this their primary or only computer and move the discussion of pros and cons back to the general Surface Go thread. I'd really like to learn more about how folks use this are their primary device, what industry or profession they are in; what led them to that, and tips for those of us considering it.

djas and nnthemperor like this.