Surface Go - Adaptive Brightness

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Variable, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

This was working well when I initially received my Surface Go (and given the small/bad battery I appreciated the fact that it may stretch battery life a bit longer when in a slightly darker environment).

Since the 1809 update this functionality is totally broken and I need to often reboot the machine to have even manual control.
    I already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the sensors and the graphics driver.

Any ideas/suggestions how to fix this. Google did not offer up any solutions.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This is a known PITA that many Go owners suffer. Temporary fix to get manual control back without rebooting: Hit Win-X and select Device Manager. Expand 'Display Adapters'. Select the display driver. Hit the little down arrow in the toolbar, or right-click and select 'disable driver'. Wait for five seconds, and reenable the driver.

Someone at the bottom of this thread was able to solve it, I haven't tried that myself, but it sounds logical.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Mine went kaflooey with the same updates and has been a PITA since.

4. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

I downloaded the latest Intel drivers and then installed them via Have Disk method (it failed otherwise)
    That seems to have fixed the problem though brightness is slow as molasses (change the setting and then wait 10 seconds before it changes)