Surface Go 3 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

But this "new" chipset came from the same generation and architecture.. The Go's i3 is just a better binned m3 with higher clock and potentially lower power usage given same load. The iGPU responsible for video decoding is exactly the same down to the t.

If anything your task benchmark might force the i3 to run at higher clock than it does with m3. Or perhaps you got a dud. Do you test like > 10 devices at once?

2. obender

obender Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe someone tried the similar setup with which I'm having issues.
    I'm trying to connect an USB-3 CF Express card reader and an SSD via USB-C hub to Go3.
    The hub has PD over USB-C
    When I connect the hub both drives show just fine in explorer.
    When I try to copy data from CF card to the SSD it fails, just hangs there forever and then one on the drives disappears and then reconnects.
    If I connect just a CF reader or just an SSD via same hub everything works fine, I can copy data from an internal Go3 storage to the drive and back.
    The same hub works just fine on a regular PC or Mac.
    I've tried two hubs so far with the same result.
    Any ideas on why this can be happening? Is this some kind of a limitation of Go3?

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Maybe someone tried the similar setup with which I'm having issues...>>

@obender : Something about this seems vaguely familiar to me... I think I had a similar problem, years ago, on an earlier version of the Surface pro. IIRC, I simply worked around the problem by doing a two-step data transfer as you describe. I haven't used (or needed) a hub in years, so I can't offer much help. Perhaps another member can chime in?

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@obender

We haven't seen the precise problem with the Go 3. However more generally we have seen this issue before with both Surface devices as well as Dell XPS systems.

In that case what is happening is that the power draw budget is being exceeded on the USB port and the bus gets reset. Obviously not the most graceful way to deal with that, but it's a combination of firmware and Windows not completely communicating.

The obvious areas we's look at first is the hub (you don't specify which one) and potentially the SSD. In the case of the SSD, we'd especially look closer if you are using a 3rd party housing in combo with an SSD nominally intended for installation in a laptop.

To clarify what I'm talking about for example Samsungs consumer SSDs that come in a USBC housing, besides the drive itself also have additional circuitry (with associated firmware) to mitigate this.

Again it's hard to say at this point what's causing it, but the above is where we have seen it before. Your observation that they individually seem to be fine, supports the exceeding the power draw limits theory.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

You may try an externally powered USB hub.

upload_2021-10-29_18-33-40.png

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Moved from Surface Pro 8 thread ...

Yes. Black only. I prefer the standard cover to the alacantara ones.