Surface Go 3 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Trying to figure out what's new in in Go 3.
    I read on notebookcheck the i3 benchmark score is the same as Go2's M3 despite being newer gen and manufactured with smaller litography.

What's the deal, longer battery life?

And what else are the diffs?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. RazzNuts

Umm, does the cooling actually improve? M3 will sit on 60-70°C when doing Turboboost, then throttle. If this is happening also on i3, well then not much of an upgrade.

dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  3. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, wrong forum I just realized :confused:

Turns out I bought a Go2 M3. These can be had 'like new' for $300 to $350 on Ebay, which is a very good deal. Companies unload them after a version change (always happens), so act quick. People buy up dozens at a time from these clearance companies on Ebay.

It's much, much, better than my original Pentium Go 1. It came with the charger, keyboard, and a Kensington rugged type case. Looks like it was never even used, which may be the case.

I had actually bought the LTE version of this at an ATT store a year or two back, but it was over $800 and I returned it as I couldn't justify the cost, even though I sort of needed it. Fortunately, I had upgraded the pen which wasn't included

Glad I waited :D

Note: Installed 11, which I find rather nice.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    JoeS, daddyfish and nnthemperor like this.
  4. RazzNuts

That's a very good deal! The Kensington case is also pretty solid, had one but returned it in favour of Otterbox.

Btw how does the warranty work with eBay buy?

5. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

No idea. For that price I don't care. 30 days for a return I imagine.

RazzNuts likes this.
  6. RazzNuts

SGO3 now have Wi-Fi 6 as well, but a shame that my router nor those they use at work or uni is even Wi-Fi 5 capable yet, lol.

Nbcheck measurement indicates the screen goes a bit brighter as well.

Upon closer look both SGO3 and SP8 use CPUs that operate at lower TDP (5 W and 35W respectively).

I already read some posts across reddit that SP8 is thermally performing better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/q3sgkt/sp8_has_much_better_thermals/

I wonder if this applies as well to the SGO3?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Question for all, has anyone purchased a Go 3 for their own use yet? Reason I ask is I'm reviewing our certification tests this morning for both the i3 and Pentium Gold models and I'm wondering about battery life.

The good news is that they passed without issues (and in fact MS improved the display a bit), but the battery life took a significant hit (around 35%). Especially in the case of the Pentium Gold version both MS and Intel think we should actually see a minor improvement.

Which leads me to suspect either Windows 11 generally and/or the OS load out that ships on the systems. Looking at the Windows download center, there is also a Windows 10 Pro load out for the Go 3 that's intended for enterprise customers and I think we are going to try our battery tests again with that.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That would be sad if they nerfed already marginal battery life.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. RazzNuts

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah we are a bit perplexed at the moment, but its seems to be an issue as multiple reviewers have mentioned significantly worse battery life such as the Verge and Engadget whereas PC Mag listed battery life as one of their "pros" in their review.

In out tests of the "raw" chipsets, the older M3 and the new I3 are a wash, but OTOH the new 6500Y is about 15% more power efficient than the one in the Go 2.

TLDR there are multiple factors at play here and we at least don't have a good handle on all of them yet.

One possible contributing variable is that both chipsets have significantly improved/optimized video decoding over the prior versions. So perhaps those sites that count "stream video at xx% screen brightness until the battery dies " are confusing things compared to someone like us that have a suite of computing tasks based on how are customers are actually using the system.

JoeS and daddyfish like this.