Surface Go 3 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let's be honest. The Surfaces from their very inception have been a side project for Microsoft. They never expected them to do very well (if I recall correctly, they were never meant to go on for so long). And while, because they've been successful, Microsoft has kept them going and improved them, the very ethos behind entire project never seems to have had them truly take them seriously as a product. They're still just a showcase; just ones that happen to make good products.

Most of The Verge lot are like that (at least from when I last visited their site in 2014 - a terrible, ignorant, and insulting to the engineers and developers, review of the Nokia 808 PureView annoyed me so much I just stopped). It's why I never give them traffic.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wonder how they know that-oh yeah, their anonymous telemetry...:rolleyes:

nnthemperor, Eltos and desertlap like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Exactly and that same stuff also says that OTOH touch screen use is highest on the Go line. In other words, likely due to size and possibly demographic, the Go apparently gets the most use as a tablet though not the hardcore pen user crowd like us.

nnthemperor and Eltos like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sometimes I wonder if WE are the ENTIRE universe of hardcore pen users...

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If it gets the highest touch screen use, but the lowest pen use, wouldn't that be because of the sh$tty pen support features they put on it? I don't see how inking on that size wouldn't be much more comfortable than, say on the Pro and Book.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn, dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  6. desertlap

200% agree !

And it's a point I and my engineers try to make at every opportunity when we talk with companies like MS eg. when they complain the surface is underappreciated as a tablet, my response is always, well if you paid more attention to the tablet UI (like apple) it would get more use that way.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...If it gets the highest touch screen use, but the lowest pen use, wouldn't that be because...>>

Unfortunately, the last 18 months of use as our family room floater have made me much less of a Go fan than I was initially. The UI stutters a little too frequently, touch response freezes and some touch controls refuse to respond to a normal touch. Mostly it works, but these aforementioned defects occur just a little too often. But the reason I bring this up is because these same faults have caused me to actually use the pen more! At times, it appears that the Go's response to the pen is a little more solid than its response to touch.

So I guess I'm the anti-example here; go figure!

nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  8. desertlap

You aren't first person that I've heard say that.

It makes me wonder why I don't see it as much as other "more regular users" do. The only plausible explanation I've come up with so far is that I'm almost always using a "fresh" load of Windows on our devices. It's inherent in our testing that we frequently have to wipe and reload a device because we've managed to inflict serious damage on the OS load we are working with.

And it's also a truism still, with Windows at least to 10 (unknown about 11 yet) that when you have a system that's preforming sub optimally, when all else fails reset and load fresh.

nnthemperor, Steve S and dstrauss like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The smaller size can be preferable in many instances, as an illustrator, attending a life drawing class and having to hold a device as you draw on it for 3-4 hours, obviously the lighter and easier to hold the device, the better.

Problem is, even though the Go2 allegedly corrected the pen problems by actually adding the pixel sense accelerator in, I was so burned by the Go1 and its nightmarish pen experience that I don't think I would ever be fully comfortable giving it another...Go, By both releasing a product essentially broken so bad in its first iteration, and then giving it such minor updates, and then outright refusing to raise it to the level of its better siblings (Pro 8), the Go line just no longer has my confidence. I know it's the lowest cost/entry level of the Surface family, but had they updated it to the current Slim Pen 2 standards, I might have considered. By not doing so, Microsoft is essentially saying that if you need a good pen solution in a 10-inch and under from, look elsewhere. And I have, the iPad Mini 6 for that purpose is phenomenal.

nnthemperor, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes, that seems to be precisely what they are saying.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.