Surface Go 3 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Cost, purely to hit a price point.

That being said, A. it's not as slow real world as some would have you think (roughly around a spinning hard drive in aggregate though you will notice it when booting and initial launching of apps)

B, With Windows anymore, 4GB RAM is more likely going to a bigger limiting factor performance wise.

PS: EMMC also has a small power consumption benefit as well. eg, purely on battery life, the low end model is the best, though not by an enormous amount.

2. desertlap

I'd forgotten about that type cover and agree with you that it would be a terrific idea to bring it back in an updated form.

3. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

This should be auto-pinned after just about any article or review on the Go. Very few people get it.

I'm still happily using my SG2. Sure, it's an m3 with a meager 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, but I knew what I was getting and it hasn't let me down yet.

desertlap and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I just loved that Cover! What ever happened to all the crazy creative custom Covers they were developing anyway? They had a Music Cover (for DJs), a Touch Cover (for silent typing among other things), and there are tons of rumored Covers described vaguely in unearthed patent submissions too. I had a Surface Pro 2 that I bought a Power Cover for and it was the perfect way to extend battery life free of messy cables and other outboard gear in the bag. Not as clumsy and random as a blaster... an elegant power bank for a more civilized age. ;)

Tams, daddyfish and darkmagistric like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I remember the music cover as well, I don't think that ever got released. But as far as the power cover, I always felt that was odd Microsoft never looked back at the concept. I guess in a way it conceptually lived on as the Keyboard base of the Surface Book. Since the Clipboard of the Book is essentially a Surface Pro, you can kind of think of the Keyboard dock as step up from what the power cover was. But now that the Book line is more or less replaced by the Laptop Studio, I think it would be a perfect time to bring back power covers.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

If they opened the proprietary interface of the Surface Cover Connector to third parties, it might help quite a bit. Even the slick-looking Brydge keyboards have to rely on Bluetooth which can be a serious showstopper for some. For example, as a power user, how do I use a Bluetooth-based Brydge keyboard in a custom boot environment where there is no Bluetooth functionality available? But I digress. Even Apple, who charges a mint for their first-party accessories, has made their keyboard connection available to third parties like Logitech. Microsoft needs to minimally be willing to match their competitor in order to beat their competitor, else Thunderbolt and 120Hz displays (as fantastic as they are in the moment) will be the only innovation we see from Microsoft for a long time. Then five years will go by again, the line will get old and in dire need of renewal, insert vicious cycle, and then we will see another panic leap back to (mostly) competitive parity.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    darkmagistric likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I wish Microsoft would consider bringing back the battery type cover...>>

To quote Ruk (gravelly voice) : "...it has been so long, I had forgotten!..."

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[Start Mini rant ]
    Why in the world Panos and his cronies, in all their wisdom, did not think it fit to make at least the slim pen KB for the SGo 3 is beyond my comprehension. How much would it have added to the cost. These stupid insignificant "updates" (if they even qualify as that), don't make any sense at all. [End rant]

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

dstrauss, Kumabjorn and desertlap like this.
  9. desertlap

One of my engineers asked a MS engineer exactly that. The answer he got was that the new Slim Pen 2 requires a newer version of pixelsense to fully support it and they didn't update in it the Go3. :(

PS: That same engineer also said that the Go has the lowest use of a pen percentage wise of the Surface line.

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Probably true. Since it is the worst of them all.