Surface Go 3 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Saw that. I feel like user HeyCori's response to that piece deserves some attention too:
    Give it OLED and I'm in!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

When you read the reviews of the new Pro 8, it is easy to see why the reviewer was not impressed. This version of the Go3 is merely a retread. Still, the reviewer had to admit that, "There aren’t many devices that can provide the full Windows experience in such a portable package." Really, there aren't any.

The Go still needs a fanless I5 if it can handle it. I am still having issue with my temps on occasion, so I am concerned about the ability to handle higher CPU loads. Backing up my Go2 through the USB port on a WD conventional hard drive while doing my normal daily work, I saw the highest temps I have ever seen on my Go.

[​IMG]

86C is white hot for this device.

The Go also needs a USB-C TB port, a new style keyboard with the pen in the pocket and a G6 chip for the new pen to initiate haptic feedback. Oh, and a 120hz OLED display would be nice.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Here you go @Bronsky - problem solved per Apple...:eek:

[​IMG]

5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a shame AMD's Van Gogh is MIA and Dragon Crest not due until sometime in 2022. I think we'll be waiting until this time next year until any better ultra-low power devices are announced. And if course, Surfaces tend to be a year behind everything else...

I'm not what use a 120Hz OLED display at such a small size is. Sounds like a waste of an already small battery with the inevitable burn-in.

6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So this may end up in "rant territory" but good grief!!!!

He is absolutely not the demographic that would buy or should be even reviewing a Go , because he is missing the point of who this is for.

IMHO the Go is the ideal secondary (for many) tablet oriented (more so than the Pro even) Windows device with a high quality display, full windows compatibility and a very good pen experience. (maybe not the absolute best as the S- Pen has that crown, but more than good enough for me for example)

Again it's all about trade offs, but in it's price point it's nearly the only full Windows tablet available especially if you factor in weight and size. Not to mention an actual backlit keyboard for about $100 which will either cost you a minimum of $300 on an iPad and isn't even available on any Galaxy tablet.

Not to mention, still the best hinge design for casual media consumption and a wide range of peripheral compatibility including full not gimped (looking at you Apple) external display support.

Is it the highest performing device in it's price class. Most certainly not, but I'd argue if that's what you are after, you bought the wrong system.

Windows 11 helps a bit with the tablet experience, though it's still not iPad level of smoothness, but given MS renewed focus on the surface line generally I expect it to improve over the next year or so.

About the only thing I'd ding it for is battery life which while improved due to both Windows 11 and the newer processors still lags the rest of the tablet market.

Part of that is down to reliance on intel, but OTOH the only other real option is to make the Go thicker and heavier.... no thanks.

TLDR, the go is still a great device and speaking for what my company does, it still will be the default device for our employees and one that we will highly recommend to our customers.

END OF RANT :)

PS: Not a go thing per se but Windows 11 but I/m still annoyed by the amount of superfluous apps that come installed with Windows 11. Honestly if I want/need Spotify or Disney +, I'm perfectly capable of going to the app store to get them:mad:

PPS: That and the multiple GB of day one updates, but even Apple seems to be headed in that direction....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

About the only thing I agree with him on is that it might have better battery life if they went with WOA, but that has it's own sets of tradeoffs.

I also wonder about his usage that is giving him such poor battery life. Don't get me wrong its still arguably the biggest weak point of all of the Go's (as an aside if battery life is top priority get one of the Pentium Gold models) but we got just over 6 hours in our testing.

Plus I just can't stand Dieter's smug self satisfied writing style.

Tams and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

One of the problems with the GO is the fact that MS is still using slow emmc drivers on the base model. Why?

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I can't help but feel if they actually carried over the Pro 8 design refresh to the Go3, despite the internals being the same, it would probably be received better by reviewers since a design change would at least distract from the inside.

As far as battery life, I wish Microsoft would consider bringing back the battery type cover that we haven't seen since the Surface Pro 2. I always felt that was a perfect solution to address short battery life.