Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty that's exactly right. Yet another thing forgotten was that the original Apple stores came about not to be the retail success they ended up being but because Jobs was so disappointed in the buying experience that potential Apple customers were getting in placed like CompUsa, Circuit City, Best Buy etc. He gave several interviews at the time saying if the Apple stores were profitable or not was beside the point, Showcasing the best possible experience for Apple products was.

That fact that they were so successful is a different topic and one that had elements of luck, timing and brilliance in Apples original head of retail. And that is something that is now being taught in business. school.

What you have at the moment appears to be Apple doubling down on devices and MS going the other way with cloud and services. It seem to me we are headed towards more of a Doupoly with Google (possibly in concert with Samsung ) being the X factor in all this.

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As a person who tried to sell Macs in Circuit City under contract that fact that CC salesfolks would poach sales and redirect folks to buying less expensive PCs was probably a consideration as well.

Chris_Kez and daddyfish like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Since I started this hijack, let me help correct it so we can focus solely on Surface Go 2 here. I am quoting some of the longer items and carrying them over to the Microsoft Store Closing thread.

Let's move the discussion of the closings and implications for Microsoft, Apple, and us over there.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Link to thread

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Boo. Sorry.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Great piece of thought and analysis, Marty. (One correction: not just "any schmuck can look at an earnings report and point to the lowest number"; it takes a persistent schmuck like me, who looks deep in the footnotes where it's buried :p)

Seriously, you thought out and articulated the part I glossed over and assumed (ass of u and me) there was a truth we all accepted: MS has demonstrated a shocking inability to to understand, innovate and lead in the device business and to appreciate and capitalize on the incredible power of owning a major OS platform and integrating that, device design and manufacture and an integrated marketing and distribution strategy to tie it all together and be a major player, even the dominant one, in this business well worthy of a $1.6 trillion business. Where they failed as a monopoly they could have found massive success, even dominance, in a duopoly with Apple.

When large corporations fail at business initiatives over and over again, the smart ones realize - or their boards force them to accept - that those areas in which they repeatedly - even embarrassingly - fail in are not, ah, to put it in business-speak, among their core competencies. And ultimately they either become failed companies or cut losses on their own failures and deploy resources where they can succeed, even thrive. For whatever combinations of complex reasons, can we not agree that MS sucked badly at both devices and even that which brung them to the dance, operating systems?

For us (especially for those of us that can't embrace an all-Apple solution = me :mad:) for all consumers who want diversity and competition in the industry that fascinates and delights us, these are dark times. For us (greatly enriched) MS stockholders: "stores, what stores?" :vbconfused:

7. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Nobody is paying any attention...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Bronsky and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

How is everyone liking their Go 2’s? *Hint, hint*

JoeS, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

10. Angus337

Angus337 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking of upgrading my base spec sg1 to an sg2. I mainly use the sg1as a portable device for car ECU mapping. However since the lock down I've also been using it for work. I've noticed on the microsoft website there a 4gb/64gb M3 business version and wondered how this would perform compared to the 8gb/128gb Pentium gold version. Not sure I can justify the higher cost of the M3 128gb version.