Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

You'll still have NYC store :thumbsup:

2. lovelaptops

Can you say where that was - link isn't working for me. Thx.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Item 9SIA12K9ZT1913 on Newegg.

4. lovelaptops

Fwiw, a couple of observations and an opinion or two:

1) Aside from Xbox, the entire devices business of MS has an insignificant impact on its profits, and it would be a declining % regardless of their distribution strategy. Enterprise sftwe and services and Azure are far more profitable and growing far faster.

2) Without a much greater commitment to the device business - both branded manufacturing and retail reselling - MS' retail store strategy never made any sense strategically or financially. From what I've long read, analysts believe the MS retail store business was launched as a response to Apple's highly successful retail business and was meant to both bolster the Surface brand image and to position other brands' Windows devices at parity with Apples'. Without a major effort to sell a ton of high margin proprietary products (ie, Surface) nor a huge investment to sell more devices that ran Windows than would be purchased absent the MS store channel, there were neither a strategic, branding nor financial rationales for the limited retail presence and it was surely a money loser, though de minimus for MS corp. Not clear that it would've worked if they were all-in on this, but clearly just distraction for a company that was going a totally different direction, in a huge, huge way.

3) It's not clear to me that Windows even matters much to this gargantuan company, though it will be a cash cow for as long as it is viable, as the licensing fees are very large and the cost to maintain it is not significant, witness how little MS appears to care whether they can manage to release an update without trashing their user base.

TL/DR; All the stuff we care about on TPCR are in areas increasingly irrelevant to this $1.6 trillion (with a T!) market cap company, the second largest in the world, after Apple (to which devices and OSs are still highly relevant :( (me) :) (people who love Apple products.)

wytn, daddyfish, djas and 2 others like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

not really.....the NYC store that’s being reworked into one of these experience centers will just be a demo place, they’ve already announced these centers will not sell the products, which is kind of stupid.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yes, I think I'm more the exception than the rule, at least for us US customers.

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

(Don't take this the wrong way Jeff, I love your posts and I know you are just quoting the common business thinking on this, but...)

After trawling through the WindowsCentral comments hearing these 'financial analysis' arguments parroted time-and-time again, I gotta ask—have we all drunk the kool-aid, people?

You have to wonder if these same 'financial analysts' would be busy patting themselves on the back, had they recommended Apple kill the Mac ten years ago.

After all, it was a 'miniscule business', less than 10% of the PC market! It didn't at all 'line up with the future' of where Apple was going, which was clearly iPhone and iOS devices. 'Strategically, financially, and branding-wise', Apple would have been better off just exiting the desktop market altogether and focusing on their more profitable, faster growing, and larger core market...

Except no. That's stupid.

Because it would have meant Apple couldn't do what they just did on June 22 and pivot their entire mobile strength back into PC, setting themselves up to dominate the next 20 years of ARM desktop computing.

Any schmuck can look at an earnings report, point to the lowest number and say "hey, if we get rid of that, our ROI will be even higher!" I'm sorry, there's something called long-term vision. MS may have never heard of it, but it's what actually guides a company.

While the analysts were busy comparing X million units sold and declining PC trendlines, Apple was, and has always been, focused on just one thing: the Jobsian ideal of the best personal computer. That's it. That's all the iPhone, iPad, and Mac are meant to be.

They saw a future for the Mac in their vision, so they kept it.

Coming back to the closing of all consumer-facing MS stores; yes, the spreadsheet analytics tell you it's a good move. But have you stopped to think, why is a cloud revenue-centric company like Amazon busy trying put Fire/Kindle/Alexa devices in the hands of as many people as possible, acquiring billion-dollar home automation companies, and yes, even putting up retail stores?

Because they know what Apple knows: that people connect with things, not 'cloud'. And also, the darker, unseen truth: 'he who controls the hardware, controls the experience' and by extension, the developers, the users, and of course, the money flows.

You think being a big software company on Apple's platform makes you safe? Even if you're big like Office, Apple can Sherlock you so fast, twist you around, bend you over to any model they want, UX, architecture, payment or otherwise, and what can you do? They control the tap.

Of course, Apple isn't going to directly compete with MS software and cloud services...now. They need MS to help build their dominance on the new computing platform, lol. But once that's done, you think Apple can't make a word processor for the masses? You think they can't pivot into enterprise management software, when most business devices start running on 'Apple silicon'?

Yeah sure financial analysts, keep nodding your heads while MS tosses another 7 years in the garbage. Seriously, we've become so blinded by numbers, we literally can't see the value of what's in our hands and before our eyes...

<hefty swig of whiskey>

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    wytn, Kumabjorn, lovelaptops and 6 others like this.
  8. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

My thinking on Microsoft Stores closing all of them. Really even at a loss they could of closed half of them and still cheaper then advertising IMO. I would make a special trip to Vernon Hill IL when CDW had a showroom. They had all really good selection of laptops on display and someone knew what they were talking about.

In my neck of the woods there is probably only ABT store that the sales seem to know something about the product or they find somebody that does. I know unheard of these days! I got a lower end flat-screen TV last year from them and I wanted to know some details about it. The saleperson got me somebody else to look it up and found the remote so I could play around with it. Nice! The TV had what I was looking for and yes ABT got my business.

Microsoft is making a big mistake in my book. 10+million folks around Chicagoland and you don't want to keep the Woodfield Mall Store at least. So sad.

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Gah, how could I make such a simple mistake?! I think I'm growing old prematurely!

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, is that a US specific thing with bloatware on Surface devices? I don't think here any Surface is shipped with bloatware regardless where I order locally.