Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

"The model I tested has the slightly faster Intel Core M3 chip, with 8 gigabytes of RAM and a 128-gigabyte solid state drive. That brings the base price to $629. Throw in the Type Cover and your total will be $760. That's a bit more than a good cheap laptop, but less than the 11-inch iPad Pro with Apple's Smart Keyboard, which will set you back more than $900."
    , hmm from that perspective even the m3 version sounds like a good bargain.

Tams, dstrauss, Chris_Kez and 2 others like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

And unlike the iPad, you can easily expand storage with a MicroSD card.

daddyfish likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

True, but I'm not sure that's a big selling feature for the vast majority of users. (we here are the exceptions). Anecdotally the vast majority of systems we see even with 64GB drives are at most half full.

I'd say it might be slightly more tilted towards the Go because it's more of a productivity machine while the iPad tilt slightly towards media consumption. eg. A Go user might have a bunch of office docs and pdfs while the iPad has some games and streams Netflix via wifi

PS: Apple has told us repeatedly that the best selling IOS SKUS are the step up models. In other words the 128GB iPhone SE vs. the 64GB, the 256GB iPad Pro vs the 128GB. And that's all due to a perceived value , not that they need the space

daddyfish and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah, but isn't there a catch 22 here? Apple has 'trained' its users not to rely on expandable storage with over a decade of UX/workflow guidance.

And just as another anecdote, I too have become a trained monkey... :p

After getting the Note5, I missed my microSD slot sorely for 3 months. Then gradually I adapted my workflow to use network shares and the occasional dual-header thumbdrive transfer (handy little things those). Now I hardly notice the loss of storage expansion...except for when I stop to think about it.

Then I realize offloaded all my on-the-go media collection to my tablet PC instead, and purposely adapted my Android app loadout to not rely on local storage. It's clever use of Apple psychology:

"People only want stuff when they realize they don't have it." ;)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Corollary: "People ALWAYS want stuff when they are told they can't have it."

revmike, Bronsky and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry Dlap I have to call this out. This sentence would be accurate if we remove the last "slightly" from it. I still have my iPad pro and kept the new "magic" keyboard and there is simply no earthly way you are going to use this as any type of productivity machine. The file system is awful, office suite for mobile is awful. I am far from a power user but outside of Outlook mobile good luck trying to use an iPad for basic document editing, creating or editing a spreadsheet that is slightly more complex than a family budget, PDF generation and editing, and any sort of decent file management. Zipping files to send in an email? Ya right. At this point the Go2 is certainly behind the 8 ball on media consumption and lacks games but I can still watch Netflix or Amazon prime movies on my Go2, but not even going to try and work on my iPad. Now I am keeping it warm just in case there are changes by Apple but at this point there is no slightly to it.

rumirand likes this.
  7. desertlap

Well it depends on how you define productivity I suppose. If you are talking about MS office type wok than yes it's far more in the Gos favor. But if you are talking creative stuff such as Pixelmator, Garageband, or Procreate, there are many in our customer base that are getting primary work done with the iPad .

As to the file system, I used to agree with you back when things like cloud storage/cloud were less ubiquitous.but in 2020 it's more just different and those of us that cut our teeth on a desktop metaphor and hierarchal file system and resit anything else are honestly just more comfortable with it. My daughter and for that matter every under 30 year old in our office don't have nay issues with it the IOS/File system and usage metaphor and think HFS is clunky.

and I'm definitely in the hFS camp myself but concede is t dues as much as anything to how long I've been working that way.

My two cents anyway, I'm sure more than a few here will think I'm nuts....and they'd be right :)

PS: I already think IOS office already hits the 20-80 rule. In other words it has the 20% of features that is all 80% of office users actually use.

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  8. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

I hear you on cloud storage and being in the technology business as I am I have used cloud storage for over a decade now honestly. That is actually my main issue is using OneDrive/Google Drive with iOS is certainly doable, just not efficient. Eg. To edit a file on my iPad I need to open OneDrive, navigate to the file using the kluge directory sort structure, click on it (that opens it in read only mode), then click on the launch Word/Excel button on the menu, then I have it. Finding a file from inside Word is an entirely different frustration. In windows I can open file explorer, click on the exact folder I need even if nested with one click using quick access, then double click the file and I'm in. end of story. I am for sure not surprised that every 30 year old in the office thinks inefficiency is fine.... but that is a discussion for another day.

Bottom line. lets take something very simple like my example above. I will ceed the argument with one test. Give me your fastest 30 year old iOS user and me and my 63 year old body with my "slow" windows based GO2. Now lets see who can open a saved document in a nested folder and start typing in it faster. I promise you i win that battle every time. Then lets do a grammar check.... doooh....mobile cant do that sorry. OK Im done.... now back to your regular scheduled program

Tams likes this.
  9. desertlap

Interesting discussion. Not really a fair test without some specificity to it though. EG. If you are talking about a Pages Doc for example in IOS it's just there in your item list, no navigating required. OTOH if I'm working with someone else's for the first time it's still slower.

BTW: My college age daughter can clobber just about anybody I know in tech productivity speed , And she's all IOS with an iPhone and iPad Pro. Her point is that the HFS and desktop are less intuitive than just the norm that many until her generation had no other option for. PS. She's equally adept with Chromebook which if anything are ever more limited in the context of traditional paradigms.

PS: I wonder how often grammar check actually gets used... I use it but most don't just judging by most of the emails I get.

To get to Jobs infamous truck versus cars analogy, I think some of what's missing from say full office versus IOS office is heavy duty stuff that's only used by a small fraction of total office users and you could make the argument that a simpler cleaner interface is also a benefit and thus why MS hides some of the more powerful features deep in sub-menus.

PPS: @Bergman have you used MS teams much? It is by far the most IOS like product MS has produced to date.. Just a little side bar to our conversation

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I hate it. It offends my sensibilities.:vbcool:

desertlap likes this.