Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. rumirand

rumirand Pen Pal - Newbie

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Not the kind of "good" you were thinking of, but how about posting a crazy (fake) rumor, just to see how much of the tech press picks it up. Hey, better yet, make it about a stock we can all buy or sell short :D:p (SEC: I'm kidding - note the emojis!)

desertlap, nnthemperor, Tams and 3 others like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There are some things you just can't "unsee!" :eek::p

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

well I have come to the end of my three week "experiment" and I can say with others I am a happy camper. I have finally come to the realization that I will always want more.... more power... more battery..... more screen....more brightness.... but for now I have been using one single device (except for my phone of course) for all my digital needs and vices for three weeks, and it is just what I need at this point. The device is small enough that I can use as a tablet for media consumption and reading while on the couch, has the size and weight as well as LTE for me to work while on a customer site, and powerful enough when home and attached to my Surface dock to let me run my business needs on my 4k screen. Basically my iPad Pro is sitting collecting dust, along with my Surface Pro X and Pro 6, and that was the experiment. I did pick up my Pro X the other day and while I love everything about that device for screen size and Battery life, it is simply too large to hold comfortably as a tablet. It is, like my Pro 6, a really nice and light laptop replacement, but I still would need a tablet.

Now for sure the three main things I would like to see from here is a screen to device ratio more like my iPad with smaller bezels, instant on like my X, and a couple hours more battery. BUT I am not willing to give up size and weight for that so for now 6 to 7 hours battery is going to have to do. For now my quest has ended, and I will just wait for the Go3.

Finally I will say that now with this device my frustration with the Microsoft vision.... whatever that is... has greatly increased. There are ways for sure to maximize battery life and I am using a lot of PWAs as well as what is left of UWP apps, but still have to run Microsoft Teams, and the Office suite which are battery hogs and I just don't understand why Microsoft does not pull all this together and clean it up. Gees..... anyway rant over.... Im happy right now.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

First - welcome to Club SG2.

Second - about that "vision" thing, I know a lot smarter people than me says there is method in MS's madness, but I really don't think they have a vision other than drive files, subscriptions, and eyeballs to the Azure cloud. It's not even like they are throwing things up against a wall - it's like they don't care, just develop as many ways as possible to maximize service revenue. Otherwise, why have a low end device (SG2) that that can run anything in the Windows universe outperforms a "Pro" level device on a dead end OS with poor x86 emulation (sorry about that WOA lovers)?

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If I said this SOMEBODY would be sending me a box of Wheaties. But I could not agree more. More battery for sure. CPU? I wonder about putting more power in this unit with its thermal limitations. Maybe Lakefield chips will solve that problem. Glad you like yours. I love mine.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think its one of those you don't know what you don't know things. I was perfectly fine holding the regular surface pro hand held until I spent some time with the original go. On paper the differences seem minor but cumulatively they make for a much more comfortable experience when using the go as a pure tablet.

For example, when reading an ebook, , you do it vertically. With the regular pro I either have to shift my eyes or the tablet as I read down the whole page. With the go (and regular iPad for that matter) you can view the entire page without having to shift anything. Again this seems like a really minor thing, but when you read for an hour it's very noticeable.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  8. Bergman

The crazy thing is my X weighs 1.7 pounds and the go2 is listed at 1.25. So on paper you say well a half a pound is no big deal but the combination of size and weight is strikingly different when hand holding. And the bottom line is a person typically wants a device like a Surface because they want the tablet functionality.

For anyone who has not held both and is just looking at specs, my opinion is there is a vast difference.

9. Bergman

So here is to hoping that we can see a Surface Go Professional somewhere in the future. Give me the size and weight of this device but work on beefing it up. My fear is Microsoft is being pushed toward making this a competitor for low cost tablets and that in my humble opinion is the wrong market for this device. The mobile professional is a sweet spot here, and we don't want Pentium Gold and 4 gig of RAM there. I am hoping that future versions focus on this as more of a productivity device and quit worrying about competing with a cheap android tablet that can never become a pros device anyway.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, allow me to make my bi-annual observation that torque and moment of inertia affect the the user experience. The Go is not only lighter but also narrower, and for one handed use the force on your fingers for holding it up compensates for gravity and torque. So roughly speaking the one-handed reading experience is "quadratically improved" with the size reduction. As for moment of inertia, the fact that the device is smaller means that changing its orientation also feels "quadratically easier". It's a win-win, or win^2 if you will.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020