Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is there still a thread for the original SB or am I supposed to get with the rest of humanity?

Along because my unit's DGPU does seem to easily overheat and shut down these days. There only game I ever play on any device is the Konami Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) series and lately with the 2020 version the unit overheat and automatically turned of less than 10mins into the game. I've resorted to placing ice blocks under the keyboard and it gets so hot it easily melts a fairly large bar of ice.
    Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Leave Microsoft Store open on your device. In a separate browser, open the developer tools, switch to mobile view, go to the Microsoft Store page for Dell Mobile Connect, log in, and then select the ellipsis (...) and hit Install to remotely install it to your device. With any luck, it should then start installing. That is more or less what this guide should say:
    https://hothardware.com/news/dell-mobile-connect-installation

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, it worked.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

Awesome! :)

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

For those waiting for the right moment to jump on May 2020 Update, version 2004, here is the full official list on all the reported issues straight from Microsoft. It lists the current status as either investigating or mitigated and it also provides an ETA for many of the issues. By way of announcement, the "Errors or unexpected restarts for some devices using Always On, Always Connected" issue I mentioned earlier that affects Surface devices with AX201 Wi-Fi chipsets is estimated to have a fix "available in mid-June". If you also look at the other Update releases in the menu in the upper left, you will notice this May 2020 Update has one of the longest lists of release bugs we have seen in years:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The new marketing slogan at Microsoft:

"We are getting even BETTER at releasing bug-infested updates guaranteed to break your system!"

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Good grief, even their list of issues has issues: "Some IMEs for certain langauges might have issues". Langauges, really? o_O

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

I mean, I almost certain the pandemic buggerboo is to blame for most of this mess they are in. Generally speaking, the last two months before release are like a sprint-speed mad rush to squash all the bugs they can find and then some and it comes down to teams checking each others’ work with a fine-tooth comb. As much as we have made remarkable progress in our ability to connect across far distances via technology, it is still hard to eek out the same degree of collaboration and efficiency in teams when they are separated by distance. You still need that raw and unfiltered face-to-face interaction to conjure up and bounce off those bright ideas you would not otherwise think up when separated by distance. You just don’t get that same level of team spirit where you can report to each other and magnify each other strengths when you all are dwelling in digital islands far removed from everyone.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    desertlap, downeaster59 and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. You have hit the nail on the head - no amount of Zooming or Teaming can give you the collaboration necessary for most businesses. Our law practice has suffered daily from the inability to bounce ideas off one another.

Bishop and sonichedgehog360 like this.