Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Like this? ;)

There is currently an explicit update block in place for the May 2020 Update on all of the latest Surface devices supporting "Always On, Always Connected." Outside of the Pro 7 and Laptop 3 that are explicitly mentioned, this includes the Go 2. It involves their Intel AX201 Wi-Fi chipset's always connected capability. I even tried using install media to try to force the update on my Pro 7 (What can I say? I just like living on the wild side and playing with fire.)... no dice. (EDIT: It appears the update block is only flagged at install time when it polls Microsoft's servers. So, if you try again to update using the install ISO while you are disconnected from Wi-Fi and LTE, the update will go forward. DON'T DO IT, THOUGH! JUST DON'T! I wouldn't try it unless you fancy an endless parade of reboots.) Here's why:

Link:
    https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/28/windows-10-may-2020-update-issues/

Link:
    https://www.techradar.com/news/micr...ay-2020-update-already-has-a-load-of-problems

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So I dodged a bullet this morning because I didn't want to wait on a download - time to pause updates for a while...

Will Microsoft EVER issue an update that doesn't screw up a good number of users? Is it even possible?

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thank god this X1Y3 doesn't have "always on, always connected", because of course I manually installed the update yesterday. So far so good, happy I can finally "type to Cortana" again. Livin' on the edge :cool:

4. sonichedgehog360

Probably not. :p I am only guessing at this point but it is possible the usual two-month patch dash prior to release was largely glossed over and skipped due to the microscopic boogeymen. Note also that the bug above in particular is likely two-sided since Intel appears to have dropped the ball and didn’t fully validate the AX201 for the Update. Point being: if Microsoft and their partners had all been able to be in the office doing their mad rush leading to the update, I believe they would have caught most of these bugs. As it is, this Update has more reported bugs than I have seen in years, more than when Microsoft used to do two major updates a year instead of when they decided to play it safe and switch to their new tick-tock arrangement of only one major and one minor release.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So then WHY the urgency to push it out the door - just so the date convention is met?

6. sonichedgehog360

Yes. It looks bad when the update was already delayed by several weeks and traditionally this update would be released in April, suggesting a delay from the onset.

By the way, I just installed Dell Mobile Connect on my Surface. iMessage on Windows is something else! C'mon Microsoft, you let Apple add iTunes to the Microsoft Store. Get them to help you to integrate iOS devices into the Your Phone app.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/04/11/run-dell-mobile-connect-on-any-windows-10-pc/

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I should have bold faced and italicized my comments i guess.

It now essentially being withheld for the entire surface line. Apparently it can cause some major issues with the Surface Studio as well.

How embarrassing that MS own machines are among the most affected :confused:

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I'm running a Surface Studio 2. Normal Windows Update gave me the option to install 2004. It seems to be running without issues.

sonichedgehog360 and desertlap like this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How did you get the mobile connect on your Surface device? Tried several times on my SB1 but the store app wouldn't install. Even after installing the Dell driver for it, it still said my device not supported.

Nevermind, checked the link. Will try once more. Tnks.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting. I wonder if it's only certain configurations? We only have two in house and only one had the update before it was pulled. On that system, launching explorer was enough to cause a blue screen. So we rolled it back and have held off on the other.

Regardless I'm glad you aren't experiencing issues.

Seems oddly familiar I.E kind of like Covid where at first we had no idea what it was doing and there is still a lot we don't know...:eek:

Bishop likes this.