Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's interesting how we talk about our sons and daughters and spouses as if we are researchers behind a glass wall.

I mean why don't we just ask them what they think? What their feelings are, and why they prefer one device over others? :p

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You obviously haven't met my son:D

My daughter on the other hand is pretty open

nnthemperor, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Ha Ha. I was going ask if he actually had kids.:vbrolleyes:

nnthemperor, desertlap and JoeS like this.
  4. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

ditto.... my wife is the sweetest person I know and been married 43 years. She teaches kindergarten and uses her laptop every day.... but she is not a techie at all like the rest of us here so if I were to ask her what she wants to use she would just look at me funny and reply.... I want to use what I have now silly..... totally different mindset here.....

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Weird how that pretty legit looking deal hosted on costco.com didn't actually get activated on Memorial Day. What happened?!

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So this is definitely 4th hand since it comes by way of a customer of a partner that got the information from Microsoft :cool:

So, apparently there is a firmware update in the works that should give some additional battery life to the M3 go. To oversimplify a bit what's happening is that the core m is getting "stuck " in turbo mode for longer than is needed before clocking down and thus consuming more power than needed.

This might also explain the sustained performance issues I've seen pop up around the web.

No ETA however.

7. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. Meanwhile I am still fighting this battery issue which is weird. Again last night in the hotel I finished using the device at around 18% battery left after all day (which is fine) and this time I plugged it in for the night using the supplied charger. This morning, sure enough the battery charged to exactly 51 percent and then stopped. I unplugged it, used it some, then plugged it back in and it finished charging. I checked the bios for kiosk mode and that's off so as a last suggestion I deleted the ACPI battery driver and let it reinstall that so will see what happens from here. Never had something like this happen so hopefully this is a driver issue or something that needs firmware attention at worst.

Apart from that so far still my main squeeze.

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Duet Display - on first try it loaded on the SG2 and ran my iPad Mini 5 without lag between them, but have not stress tested it yet. The iPad Pro 11 also worked fine, but resolution is an interesting issue. You can set the two to have very similar resolutions (1804x1260 vs 1920x1280), but lowering the resolution on the iPP11 does slightly diminish text quality. Still really cool, but I can't see much value in carrying both the SG2 and iPP11 - now the iPM5 is so small and light it is an interesting combination.

One other factor - the SG2 is trying to recharge the iPP11 - but gives warning too much power draw on the USB-C port. Here's the two competitors being dominated by the SG2. IMG_2632.jpg

Tams, nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think this combo makes a lot more sense - if only the iPM5 had more reasonable bezels.

IMG_2633.jpg

nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 likes this.