Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

BTW; What's particularly intriguing to me I that because of m aforementioned tech obsession, my son has had access to a large variety of devices going back to the original iPad and including a smattering of Android and windows tablets including older Surface Pros. And he hasn't show anything more than momentary interest in any of them.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. desertlap

That's somewhat true for me as well. By far the biggest pull of the Go 2 for me is the size/productivity intersection.

You wouldn't think there would be a huge difference between a device with a 12.3 inch display and a 10.5 inch but actually using both in my daily workflow and patterns the difference is substantial, totally in favor of the Go.

If the iPad didn't exist, there's not doubt in my mind I'd be carrying one.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. desertlap

One last thing. I've mentioned our own task based tests we do with devices for customers that use them in conjunction with our custom devices.

The new Go2 is the best X86 device with built in LTE we have tested and is in the top three overall, only very slightly beaten by the champ Samsung Galaxy Book 2 and the iPad Pro 11.

The tests are a fairly large suite of throughput, signal acquisition, maintaining a connection in adverse conditions etc.

Again keep in mind our tests are based on things our customers do in conjunction with our devices and wont directly apply to all situations.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

+1 on your ideal device. An interesting side effect of using this SG2 full time has been a little more discipline - if I have a real project that I have to do at home, off the couch to my office corner and 27" monitor I go.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wait! No Wheaties Joke?

[​IMG]

BTW, although Microsoft Store Online didn't want to refund my purchase price until they completed their "investigation," American Express was having none of it. They issued a credit within hours of my complaint. It's ironic that the biggest fan of the Go doesn't have a Go2 yet.

6. desertlap

Yeah but now you can add "long suffering" to your forum description :)

nnthemperor, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  7. dstrauss

[​IMG]
    How do you like my new beret?

As for poor @Bronsky - not ironic - tragic - but you may have won the round and the fight!

nnthemperor, Bishop and Bronsky like this.
  8. dstrauss

Is he mocking me...look at Steven Sinofsky's new desktop computer...did I miss something in my decision making process...

[​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Nahhhh, that's not a desktop...this is a desktop

IMG_2626.jpg

Apologies to Crocodile Dundee

Finally read the full article and saw this statement: "In a separate tweet, Sinofsky breaks down the components for his new setup. These include a large 256GB iPad Pro, stand, Magic Keyboard, Trackpad 2, and Apple Pencil. Throw in a right angle cable for $5 and a 7-in-1 dongle for $10 and that comes to $1,561....For everything people — including Microsoft — might say about an “Apple tax,” that’s a pretty reasonable cost for a desktop that can do a lot of what Sinofsky wants from it."

Let me see:

Surface Go 2 (8gb/256gb/mSD/LTE) $879
    Type Cover $129
    Surface Pen $99
    Surface Keyboard $49
    Surface Mouse $39
    Surface Dock 1 $100
    Subtotal.............................................$1305

Two WQHD Monitors (Amazon Viewsonic) $440

GRAND TOTAL.....................................$1745

That's a pretty reasonable cost for a desktop that can do all of what Strauss wants from it...

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For those who haven't seen it yet, @Bronsky just noticed that Lenovo released a Go 2 competitor: the Duet 3i. Fight!

nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.