Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If it's any consolation, there's an X1 Nano and an X1 Titanium on the way apparently.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

In the presentation it lists a "fold" as well.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have to give a special thanks and shout out to @Bishop and @Bergman for the advice to give Edge another try. It's totally anecdotal, but the feel of the SG2 is much more responsive and lag-free. Can't speak to 100% compatibility with Chrome (too little time with it so fare), but it was an important factor in my decision to stick with it.

Now for some more random thoughts about the Surface Go 2 and its competitors - these are personal opinions and not intended to be applicable to all:
    • Keyboard Experience: The Surface solution (kickstand and removable keyboard) is superior to both 2-in-1 and the iPad/Magic Keyboard solution.
      • I have yet to find a 2-in-1 with 360 hinge to be a good pen experience - maybe the Surface Neo will change that, but until then (if ever)...
      • The Magic Keyboard is absurdly heavy and expensive. It really needs the media/system keys above the function keys, but there's no room. The experience typing on it is good, but only marginally better than the Surface Type Cover.
      • Laptops are still best overall (love the x360 for that), but Surface lappability is adequate to the task.
      • The magnets on the bottom edge of the SG2 screen are weaker than the SG1 and disconnect easier.
      • One more shout out for the kickstand - nearly infinite screen control (unlike the Magic Keyboard) and best of all is the full recline for writing.
    • Portability: Nothing matches it, not even the beloved iPad Pro 11 because the best keyboard is the Magic Keyboard, doubling the weight and bulk.
    • LTE: Very satisfying so far. All I can do is compare speeds between it and my iPhone Pro 11 on SpeedTest, and they are generally very close performance-wise.
    • Pen Experience: This is still a let down.
      • It is better than the HP Spectre x360 with a Bamboo Ink pen, but not significantly. It has better friction on the glass, but otherwise the Apple Pencil 2 is vastly better. At the top of the food chain, still and probably always, is the Wacom EMR on the Galaxy Book 12.
      • To answer @DRTigerlilly 's question over in the GB Flex thread, I want to believe MS is still committed to pen tech - but even with the Surface Pro X new pen (which apparently crosses over to Neo and Duo) it really didn't advance the tech, only made it ride flat in a tray or on the back of a device for charging.
      • PS - the pen does NOT stay attached to the SG2 than any other Surface magnet attachment - I HATE USING MAGNETS - guess I'll just have to get a pen loop. You can brush it off the rounded edges worse than ever, landing on the pavement more than you'll like.
    • Screen: This is a great display. Braveheart on iTunes looked nearly as good as the iPad Pro 11 (sure, it is not quite as bright or punchy, but only the OLED of the x360 really stomps on it - hey, that is 4k). I have read some reviews claiming you can see the pixels on the SG2 - not these old eyes, and I am a real screen snob.
    • Surface Dock 1: If you've got one, use it - great for multiple monitors, USB-A, Ethernet, but I do need to get a USB-A to USB-C adapter to at least get one connection.
    I guess you can say I like this little engine that can...

Tams, Mesosphere, Chris_Kez and 6 others like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

As I continue my justification tour for my choice of the Surface Go 2, here's a very interesting review by Zac Bowden of the SG2 as a general purpose computer for many users - Zac's summary hits the nail on the head:

"Not everyone needs a small Windows PC, and that's fine. But for those that do, the Surface Go serves its purpose better than any other sub 11-inch PC before it....Surface Go 2 isn't for everyone, but I think it's a great PC for a lot of people. It's charming, fun, and easy on the wallet for the entry-level model. It's also premium, which I find to be understated in reviews. You're not buying a sub-standard PC with Surface Go. It's fully featured, with a premium chassis, Windows Hello IR, a high-quality display, pen support, touch, and everything else you'd expect to have on a premium PC."

I keep forgetting to give props to its Web Camera - I am not exaggerating when I say it is better than the Logitech C920 I borrowed from the office for Zoom/Teams conferences. It also makes me consider another comparison - the MacBook 12 - even smaller/lighter, better performance, touch, pen, and great camera...hmmmmm

nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.
  5. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

Did the battery life on my Go2 just bump up?

I upgraded to a 10 pro and then waited on some updates.

This morning took the tablet to work and usually switch it on by 10am and then came back home about 15 mins ago only to realise there was still 23% left more importantly it says 1hr 55mins left .

Is it truly getting closer to that estimated 10hrs?

will observe for a week and report back

upload_2020-5-25_18-17-30.png

nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.
  6. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

I have found in general those battery estimates are all over the map. I think MS draws those estimates from the last 15 or so minutes of activity. Over this past weekend the battery meter is one of the things I have watched every couple of minutes and I have even seen mine with 51% battery left and the estimate showed 12 hours left still. So obviously whatever I had been doing there for the last few minutes was pretty light on the battery consumption. 10 minutes later it showed 3 hours left. What I have found to be an interesting observation while using this device exclusively this extended weekend is the whole "8 hours of battery" for me at least is somewhat of a myth. What I mean by that is I use my device heavily even in personal time but I don't use it 8 hours straight on battery, ever. So for me, I was able to use this device all day, each day, all weekend without charging it at all. I would typically use it for an hour or so, then close the cover to eat or take a ride or sit and watch nature, or pull weeds. Then I would pick it back up for another hour or two. Using it like this I was able to use it all day and in bed at night for an hour reading and surfing I would finally put it on the charger around 9:30 with somewhere around 15% battery left. So while I think in actual use the battery life for me is only around 7-8 hours ( I have screen on 85% brightness... screen snob), I actually get 15-16 hours of real world use, if that makes sense.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Bergman

Speaking of battery I think I have one anomaly/issue that is going to need to be addressed by MS as this is the only device I have that has acted this way. Essentially I use the device all day just fine, I put it on the mag charger ( I own several Surface devices so I have a charger right on my night stand) at around 15% battery left and the next morning it is only charged to exactly 51%. Putting it back on the charger and it finishes charging to 100 in about an hour just fine. It did it again the second night so I threw that charger out and put in another one, also a Microsoft Surface charger. This morning it did the exact same thing, charging to exactly 51%. Once I use it for a few minutes to read in the morning and have coffee, I put it back on the same charger and it goes up to 100 just fine. I have tripple checked the power settings and as always have hibernate turned off so I cant see anything here causing that. Is anyone else seeing anything like that?

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  8. Bergman

Totally agree here 100 percent. I used this over the weekend for everything and left the iPad on the night stand and it worked out for me just fine. I think the difference for me is the size and weight is just right for tablet use, while it is still a capable pc (which my iPad is not). With the addition of edge and now using UWP apps alot it really does allow me to handle everything I need app wise. Now this week will be the big final test for me. I am heading out for the week and will be in hotels on site for the next three days so I am going to plan on taking ONLY my Go2 and leave everything else home. That means it has to perform for me as my single device so I am ready to take the plunge and roll with it. will update all later this week on results.

nnthemperor, Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A long time ago in English class, a professor made the statement that the key to understanding why anyone, loves, is neutral, or despises any story is that you need to appreciate where they came from, where they are now and where they would like to go.

I try to keep that in mind in my job and I see it personally. Both myself and my equally tech obsessed daughter have been left pretty much "meh" by the Go 2.

However, I brought one home for my son to try out potentially to take to college in the fall. And he absolutely loves it! I don't think he's touched his gaming laptop and barely even his phone while the Go2 has been virtually glued to him.

I'm going to wait a few more days to see if it sticks, but it definitely makes me reconsider my own considerations of it.

TLDR: The old axiom "horses for courses" continues to apply.

10. Bergman

Well stated @desertlap. I have to admit I had absolutely zero intention of purchasing this unit and only decided to try it out based on the comments here and others around the interwebs. Now my wife has her Surface laptop 1 and she would never like the Go2 over that in a million years. If you like a bigger screen, more laptop type experience, more powerful computing, or longer battery life you will be left wanting here. But as I have traveled down this road chasing the dream I have come to realize, for me at least. that technology in 2020 is still about compromise and now I have to answer the same question we all have to here, which is what am I willing; and not willing to give up in order to get a device as close to my use case as possible? For me, portability, and the ability to use it as a computer and tablet are what I am looking for. I find that 90% of my work time is spent like right now in front of a 4k screen with wireless mouse and keyboard. For that my Go2 is nicely attached to my surface dock and works just fine. when I need a tablet, I can disconnect and its ready to go there as well. If that were not my main use case I might no like it quite so much.

Now I would still love the perfect device which is just a tad larger than this one, with an 11" screen and smaller bezels, real 10 hours of battery life and an i5 in it. What I will say is at this point, we are REAL close to my ideal device. While I love the battery life on my Surface Pro X and the screen is amazing; it is really a laptop type of replacement and I simply could not comfortably use it as a tablet. That means I have to have two devices. This effectively puts that to rest.