Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

"Windows Air"?! The starter of the Surface Air thread would be appalled at that misnomer. Oh wait, that was you :p

2. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

and a similar battery ?

i would say “Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy”

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I didn't want to correct Dale =P Windows Air works for me anyway. I'm sure he'd accept a 3rd party pulling off the concept =)

JoeS likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I KNOW you gave me the inspiration somehow for that thread!

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

dstrauss likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My eyes teared a bit reading this as the concluding line of your 32-year tablet journey.

So what you're really saying is—Windows is on track to becoming a UX relic.

In the same way MS-DOS once ruled personal computing, but now is just a curio that most people could never imagine using. Windows is just fundamentally incapable of evolving into the smooth, responsive, tactile interface we've all longed for?

Argh! It's shades of "The unicorn is dead" all over again...can't you guys write something less depressing for your top-liked thesis posts?! :p

Nope, I still believe in Panos. He's head of Windows Experience now. He can right the ship. The fat lady sings only when Panos gets the axe. (And then I'll join you guys in the wailing... :D)

7. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't been having much luck with throttle stop. Very little change in perfornance so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry old buddy, but Windows is heading the way of CPM. The new “Fluid” mantra means that OS matters not, and I think MS has come to the conclusion that Windows will stay in the backwater of corporate world for another ten years or so (maybe longer - shoot I saw Windows XP in a doc in the box a few months ago). In fact, I think they are sincere about open source because all they see the OS for is getting to their software and services in the cloud, where they really make their money. Android, Linux, iOS, MacOS, Windows (classic); they just don’t care. In fact, the sooner they can divorce themselves from the OS the less updating and security grief they go through...its more like the unicorn gored us...

Chris_Kez, nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You know that's actually a really interesting topic, albeit one that will inevitably lead off in to a serious tangent.

The professor that taught me introduction to information theory all those years ago had at what the time was a fairly controversial theory.

He postulated that the idea of an operating system was a best, a necessary but ultimately interim step in the evolution of computers. Necessary in the aspect that it provides a framework and a platform which enables the proliferation of a variety of devices that also were cost effective enough to become a mass market item.

But by the same token those operating systems become a yoke on innovation off all kinds, sacrificed at the altar of compatibility and convention.

This isn't all that far out a belief either. Dave Packard (who my professor worked with in the early days of HP), Steve Jobs and Andy Grove were also adherents of this school of thought.

Anyway back to the topic at hand. I'm sure we will be back to a similar discussion when @dstrauss is eyeing the new Lenovo Jujitsu or HP Butterfly :)

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  10. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

My eternal Love for Tablet Pc actually led me to search for a 'Lenovo Jujitsu' and a 'HP Butterfly' on the internet for the last 1 hr......That was such a productive Sunday Pass time. Thank you.

nnthemperor, JoeS and desertlap like this.