Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm confused. Why are you trying to use Outlook for PC in a tablet environment? Right tool for the right job. Touch support on Apple mail is much better than on Outlook for sure. For everything else with a mail client, Outlook BLOWS AWAY apple mail. Its not even close and I could list a page worth of features that are terrible with Apple mail for the heavy mail user.

Now as I sit here with my Go2 typing I use the Outlook client when I am on the docking station and have a mouse, keyboard, and 4k monitor connected. When I'm on the porch as I am now, I use Windows mail which is much more touch friendly and very serviceable for a casual mail client.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Bergman

"The basic windows mail client is a bit better but still a long way from apple's mail client."

And can you give me some specific examples of this? I dont use the apple mail client at all and have not for years. I actually use Outlook for iPad as my mail client there. I always found the apple mail client to be a casual consumer setup that was not very serviceable for business use.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm talking about using both devices as handheld tablets , no keyboard so "the right tool for the right job" absolute applies here just not in the way you are thinking about it.

In that scenario described above, I'm primarily reading with the occasional quick reply such as "I'll call you Monday"

In that scenario compared to the iPad, the buttons are too small and hard to hit accurately with a finger and some even basic functions require a trip to the menus (like a font change) compared to the iPad.

Or a simple gesture like doing a quick move of a read item to dedicated folder is a couple touch action on the ipad versus triple or more in outlook

And yes you can change it around but the default display for the inbox including seeing your unread items is easier to quickly scan.

Last but not least, while MS on screen keyboard has improved considerably over the years, it's still a long way from Apples keyboard in accuracy , angles of sensitivity, palm rejection etc.

Again I am speaking strictly as use a tablet. To again use you right tool analogy. If I was composing a longer more complex email that would be read by a key customer or higher ups in the company I'd be using my Surface Book 2 and would skip over a tablet regardless

And again as a tablet the apps situation is 3rd rate compared to the iPad with the Kindle App being most notable. Yes the cloud reader app is usable but pales in comparison to the fluid full featured IOS client. Other very useful tablet centric apps on IOS don't even exist on windows

To repeat I'm not attacking the go if anything I'm lamenting the fixable things that keep me from adopting it as my tablet of choice.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. desertlap

You are missing the point here, "a page worth of features " is not all that useful in my described scenario because A they aren't likely to be used and B if I wanted to it's awkward to get to them.

And I agree the basic windows mail client is better in that regard, just not better enough.

5. Bergman

I'm not missing your point, we are just talking over each other. My point is I never try and use the Windows Outlook client when I'm in tablet "mode", meaning I'm using my surface as a tablet and touch. For that I use Windows mail and I was asking for direct features of Apple mail that are missing from Windows mail not to be snyde but as a legit question because I don't use Apple mail even on my iPad Pro.

Maybe this comes down to a user preference but with MS mail I can reply easily with a quick touch right from the message, delete or move a message with a quick swipe right or left, add signatures, sort my inbox, do most everything I need so I was looking for specific things corporate users do with Apple mail as I may have to dust that off and try it.

That said, I for one find MS mail pretty decent in its current form And honestly there is only one key feature that really bugs me with all of the Mobile touch friendly mail clients and that is I have a personal mail account and a corporate mail account. I want to move items in my personal account to a folder in my corporate account and you can't do that with either Apple mail or MS mail. That really sucks for me.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Bergman

now for the key board I am going to have to respectfully totally disagree with you here s I loath the Apple touch keyboard for one very simple reason. Arrow keys.... non existent. Now call me old fashioned if you want but any keyboard that does not let you easily go back and correct a word or add something is just not usable for me for anything more than basic communication. I was SO glad to get some arrow keys on the iPad physical keyboard but trying to stick your finger in the exact spot you need to add a comma is a exercise in total futility for me. Arrow keys on the MS touch keyboard ALONE make that one 1000 times better. My opinion.

nnthemperor and tcassidy like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

@desertlap The truth of it is that I handle most of my email on my Note10 Phone anymore. Client expectations have made email more immediate and the need to respond quickly more important. But, I have used a 10" display now for the past 4.5 years, a good portion of that without the keyboard and Outlook was never one of my problems.

I have software issues with Outlook and the way is does certain things but I don't struggle with the interface. I also don't use the Go in tablet mode, preferring the standard UI. Using the Compact setting with the Home toolbar, I can open outlook, review my mail, preview each message and compose a new email without using anything but my index finger. I can also flip to my calendar and see sent messages with that same finger. If I have to type a return message, the standard on-screen keyboard is not quite as good as apple's but it suffices.

Here's the kicker for you. My wife, an ardent Applephile (2012 15" Macbook Pro, 9.7" Pad, IPhone, Apple Watch) has been using my Go since her Pro went on the Fritz. She has fallen in love with it and wants this Go when I get a new one. She's giving her IPad to the girls. She's not a pen user so it has nothing to do with that. She has been reading her email in outlook and telling me how much easier it is. She also likes the versatility to use it as a tablet when she is primarily reading (which is her principal use) and to snap the keyboard on when she wants to create content. I am as surprised as anybody.

Tams, dstrauss, nnthemperor and 4 others like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Go2 Throttlestop Reddit is reporting some interesting results for the Go2. Undervolted, the M3 CPU pushes a sustained 2.7ghz @ 8w with thermals in the 75C range. In this state, the Go2 scores 675 on the R20 bench.:vbeek: The Surface Pro 4's I5-6300u had a stock score of 700 in the same benchmark.

Chris_Kez and alaskajoel like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You know it's very interesting how the Go just seems to hit the right chord with Apple-style device lovers.

Take a look at this video, it's like he spends every two minutes cursing the base Go for its slowness and OS hiccups, but then immediately forgiving it because it's just so cute. :p

I really hope MS realizes what kind of appeal they have with Go. They just need to bring the Windows tablet experience up to par and they have true iPad-killer on their hands.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. desertlap

@Bronsky Thanks for sharing that, very informative and helpful to me as an alternative view. And I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a lot of users like her out there. I'm almost there myself.

In many ways the Go is a better fit as a companion to my Surface Book 2 for work related and productivity tasks. OTOH I really do use my tablets 80% of the time as true tablets which swing me back towards the iPad.

And I've said it before, but it bears repeating. It amazes and disappoints me that MS had such a huge head start with tablets and yet Apple has multi- lapped them in both OS and hardware.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.