Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

A new meaning to "destraussing"...

[​IMG]

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

After waiting for the 5 business days that Microsoft indicated I would have to wait, when I did not receive any communication from MS, I called again. This time, they tell me that their "investigation" was still incomplete and would require another 8 to 10 business days. I'll bet I can tell you what is going to happen then. I wound up disputing the charge on my card, which is sure to further complicate things. My first and last transaction with the Online Microsoft Store.:newpalm:

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  3. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

My first and last transaction happened last week.

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  4. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

It took ms about an hour and three transfers to get me a price adjustment on my go 2 today. I was expecting the 5% that was showing in my cart but ended up getting 10% for some reason. I'll take it but they really need to get these people trained.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

dstrauss, Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Classic, B.S. scene!

Note: that was your 9,999th TPCR post. Make your next one count! :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Mongostraussing...
    When you won't take a no from the vendor.

7. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

That's some serious HORSE-POWER, wish the GO 2 had it !

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm hoping the delay means that @dstrauss is writing an epic overview of his few decades in the tablet trenches. :cool:

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am by far the early riser in the house especially on the weekend. So on those weekends my usual routine is to sit out on our porch with a tablet and catch up on non tech news and hobbies such as book reviews.

This morning I initially grabbed my iPad, but somehow had neglected to charge it. So I grabbed the Go2 that I brought home for my son to try out.

So first the positive. My porch definitely gets a strong morning sun and the Go2 new display besides being bigger does noticeably better in the scenario than the original did. I still have to set it to full brightness unlike the ipad where only about 70% is required, but the overall experience was solid.

So the point is as I write this today, is that the Go2 is so frustratingly close to what I want in a tablet. If MS would just make a few basic changes to the UI to come up with something comparable to the comprehensive and extremely intuitive gestures of the iPad, I'd forsake it for the go in a heartbeat

But alas it's just not there. One single area where it's most striking and something I plan to incorporate in my comparisons for customers is the email clients. Apples mail is absolutely issue free to use without a keyboard, where as outlook is a finger tangling challenge to do almost anything. The basic windows mail client is a bit better but still a long way from apple's mail client.

Yes apples mail client is not nearly as full featured as the outlook , but I'd argue in the scenario I'm describing, that's not really and issue. Both Outlook and the apple mail client work without issues with our exchange/ office 365 implementation.

So TLDR, I really want to love the Go (I already am totally on board with the physical form factor), but the lack of polish of the UI in tablet mode for lack of a better term, just keeps it tantalizingly out of contention for me.

So one consideration to the above, unlike @Bronsky I can't see using either the go or the iPad as my primary system though I wish I could. It's just down to job requirements. But as both a secondary and casual system they are both excellent , but the iPad is still far enough ahead to knock the go out of contention.

My two cents for a Saturday morning :)

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So as a counter point to the above, If I was buying something like the Go2 or iPad for use as shared device, the Go2 would win hands down. The fact that each user can have their own separate logins, accounts and apps makes it no contest compared to the iPad, even with the drawbacks to the UI.

That seems to be deliberate choice on Apples part though as everything we see from them defines it as personal device.

And PS: I still 100% love the kickstand on the surface series :)

JoeS likes this.