Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Good thoughts:

Only thing running right now are to Windows Explorer windows and Task Manager -

CPU utilization is only 14-24% right now.
    Processes: only 3-5% of that are Windows processes; it's task manager and Windows Explorer soaking up most of the CPU cycles that are being used.

PS - thank you ADOBE background services for being a huge memory suck, second only to Chrome if Chrome is running.

alaskajoel and JoeS like this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ahh, the Kingdom of the Kuroneko.

And that is ALL that needs to be said about that.

Tams, Marty and burningorange like this.
  3. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

The kingdom of allround excellent service period.

4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Gloom, despair and agony on me....
    [​IMG]

lovelaptops, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  5. dstrauss

Strange that I miss this show when I didn't really care for it at the time...

desertlap likes this.
  6. Bishop

I actually attempted a pale imitation of the late great Archie Campbell's "Rindercella" and "The Pee Little Thrigs" for a Zoom event yesterday.

lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I guess I'm going to be Negative Norm this morning...:(

We finally received our samples of the Core M version yesterday and spent all day testing it and the results were disappointing to us.

So some extremely important caveats to what I'm saying.

First of all these are not benchmarks, but real world tests based on how we and our customers would actually use the device primarily in conjunction with our custom devices

Second the tests are both multi-step and multifaceted and take significant amounts of time to complete. I do believe though they can be a decent indicator of the experience of some of the heavier users here (heavy multitasking, using it as your primary system)

So with that preamble...

Short summary:
    Lightweight tasks/apps group (5 tests) 19% faster overall

Middleweight tasks/apps group (4 tests) 12% faster overall

Heavyweight tasks/apps group (4 tests, two of which are critical for use with our devices) 7% faster

Note that in that last group there is one test that actually shows LOWER results, ~6% than the original Go.

So TLDR, anybody expecting a big performance bump over the original go may be disappointed.

As the three classes of use imply, those that only run lightweight apps and/or a couple at a time might find a nice overall bump in speed. Those that push their system more will likely see less of a bump.

So that all being said, a couple more observations.

First of all, the improvements to the display, Wifi and SSD (especially when using bit locker) are significant and make choosing between the new one and say a significantly discounted original Go for us a no brainer in favor of the Go 2

Second, it's my strong belief at the moment, that a major reason for the less impressive gains compared to what might be expected based on existing benchmarks of the chips involved is almost certainly thermal related.

I'm basing that on a few observations. The primary results when graphed over time show a much more spiked or sawtooth pattern than the original go. This tells us that the primary limiting factor is heat.

So related to that, first of all, the new Go 2 if anything is even more tightly packed than the original go due to the display and new WiFi primarily.

Second and perhaps most importantly it's also possible, even likely that some or much of this can be mitigated at least to some degree with firmware updates. MS as well as Dell has a long experience of doing that with their systems, which is great IMHO compared to some companies that tend to just put stuff out in the market and call it done.

So TLDR, not significant improvement in raw performance but nice improvements in the areas of display, wifi etc.

And just to prove that I'm not totally down on it, I'm likely going to purchase one for my son for college this fall.

So end of essay :)

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. dstrauss

I'll add a little anecdotal data to @desertlap 's deep dive:

I think this is not only an issue of number and weight of the applications running, it is an endurance issue. As my unit remains on, even with a moderate load, over time it starts to slow down and have erratic behavior. Last night is a good example. I had open Outlook, OneNote, and Chrome with 3-4 windows open while watching a movie - after a couple of hours the screen would not scroll from the trackpad, would not scroll with touch, and barely scrolled with the arrow keys. Restart and all was fine. Same yesterday - after the slow data file transfer, I used it for a while and it just started slowing down again, pen input would skip at times, and after restart fresh as new (that's not counting the near universal non-responsiveness while moving that big file dump from mSDXC to external HD I reported yesterday).

I'm probably 80% towards a return - just still love the size and all-in-one convenience. For those of you who are not POB's (the picky version of grumpy old b*****ds), this is a good upgrade from the SG1.

FYI:
    [​IMG]

9. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

I am not trying to be a jerk here but in my humble opinion really you guys need to get a better understanding of what your usage expectations are with devices. Now that all said I am waiting on my Go 2 M3 to arrive UPS today and I may feel different next week about it but I am going to move toward this as my daily driver and will explain below with this lengthy post. Right now I have a kick tail desktop machine with a ultrawide monitor for really heavy usage and gaming. I have a 6-pound 17" gaming laptop with Nvidia mobile 2080 that I pack in my suitcase to game with on the road. Those devices are not very mobile but in 2020 that is what you need for a power or gaming user. Period.

I am in the technology business, travel a lot with a several state territory, hotels are a life, and admitted a Microsoft education partner company. My company is Office 365, using Teams and the full Office suite heavily. My main work week consist of heavy email, web browsing for research, Office 365 administration for around 17 education customers, heavy use of PDF file management, lots of Excel spreadsheets for bill of materials job management, and writing all the companies proposals with Microsoft word. During off hours I spend a lot of time couch surfing the internet and news feeds from apps like flipboard, Reddit, and a couple other technology related news feed programs. Now I caveat my next comments with this is MY use case. If it’s not yours this may not apply.

For the last month, I have been going back and forth on the following for my everyday driver where to me mobility and versatility are very important; Surface Pro 6 (with Alcatran keyboard and also a Brydge), a Surface Pro X with keyboard and pen combo (with LTE card in it), a Surface Go 1 with keyboard and pen, a Lenovo Yogabook C930, and an iPad pro 2018 with the new trackpad keyboard. I also have 4k monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard and a Microsoft Surface dock version 1 that I use to hook up these with for work at desk. (yes, I am somewhat of a technology addict I admit). Now I list all that not to impress anyone but to say that I am using all these devices and switching around so that I can get a true feel for what works and what does not in actual use. ah.... actual use. Now that is to my point of this post so let me unpack some details on each.

iPad Pro 11” LTE with Apple magic keyboard - Adding this keyboard only frustrates me more in using this as a productivity device. While it is certainly better than not having a trackpad and keyboard, it is simply not usable for real work at all. The file system is terrible, external monitor support is terrible, battery life with the keyboard attached is now not much better than my windows devices. Now couch surfing is great, news feed aps are smooth, and the non-work portion is perfect. But as hard as I try, I can’t find a way to make this a single device use for my full weekday.

Surface Pro X – Love the weight and screen is typical great Microsoft (yes, I am a screen snob), love the instant on, LTE, hidden pen is awesome idea. work wise there are still some minor but annoying glitches with ARM for productivity systems. Bottom line as a work device this one is really close to and Aplus but for now its still a solid B. Also using this as a non-work device is painful to say the least. I use a lot of UWP apps here and use Edge as an app for things to run apps in a browser but its still limited. Size is still la bit large as a tablet and a bit heavy. Battery life however is excellent. Also had a huge issue at a conference a while ago where this would not connect at all to an old projector they had there so my presentation was a mess, and now I am gun shy on taking this as my only device anywhere.

Surface Pro 6 – Great device. Great battery life, brydge keyboard option makes it a laptop when needed, runs anything I need for work just fine. Great screen. As a couch surfing device its not so much. Heavy, large, hard to hold as a tablet. Its not awful, its just when I am using it on the couch I end up laying it aside and grabbing the iPad which is much lighter and smaller.

Lenovo Yogabook C930 – Some loathe the touch keyboard on this but I type a lot and honestly I got used to it pretty well. Great screen, nice and light, love the form factor of having a true laptop that flips in to t a tablet that is small and light. Runs full Windows environment well and as a form factor and usage case device it checks al the right buttons…… except one. Battery life is terrible. With my screen set to 80% (remember I am a screen snob) I can get around 4-5 hours tops. Not horrible but not usable when on the road for me.

Surface Go 1 - loved this device for a while when I got it. The size and weight of an Apple device but full windows support. Ran everything, but ended up on the shelf because its just sssllllooowwww. Now fast forward to the Go 2 and I have been lurking here waiting for comments. Well last week I grabbed the devices and dusted it off, ran all the updates and decided to see if I can make this work or not. Now its still slow, but with UDP and Edge apps in place I can run everything for my personal time and can use it as a work device with the Microsoft office suite. I can attach to the Surface dock and run a 4k monitor as well so bottom line is I can use this as an all in one week day device BUT. Its too slow.

So, I said all that to say I am going to give the Go2 a shot and really all I am looking for is a speed bump and a bit more battery life. Is it a perfect mobile device? No. But the question I need to answer is can I take ONE device with me for everything I need technology wise (except my iPhone of course). The answer to this appears to be a yes. I hope in the future we see a true 10 hour battery life but I am not willing to give up Windows usability to get that. I hope we see Edge getting better but it is certainly good enough at this point to run FlipBoard and Reddit in an edge app and use them that way. Can I play games on it? No. Can I run CAD on it? No. Guys, we are just not there yet, really. Ok this post is really too long now so hopefully this helps someone.

10. Bishop

@dstrauss: Chrome is a notorious resource hog. I'm curious. Have you tried the new version of Edge for comparison purposes?

nnthemperor likes this.