Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This one does not surprise me at all. If they picked up the original Go 1 for it's quality as a tablet, they would run and not walk back to the iPad section of BB. I still say Apple has in insurmountable lead in the tablet space. Excluding x86 applications, name me ONE app that is on the Go or an Android tablet that is (1) not already on iOS, and (2) not BETTER than its Go or Android tablet counterpart (PS - excluding Amazon's refusal to pay for in-app Kindle purchase)?

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I did a lot of laptop upgrades and repairs up to the time I started to transition into tablets about a decade ago. I would have to completely retool my equipment to work on one of these. No thank you.

BTW, could somebody pin this thread?

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Brian Tong - "Mr. Apple" was fairly impressed with the Surface Go 2 - but like most, sees it as the king of productivity - but mediocre as a tablet...a fair assessment.

BTW - I just don't see repair-ability as an issue, unless you can easily replace a screen - teh only user replaceable part in that whole tear down was the mSDXC port :rolleyes: - no ram, WiFi, or SSD upgrades for you!

PS - after watching and reading a few more reviews, especially the comments about the overall speed of the iPad/ipPad Pro vs SG2 - I have to wonder what an SG3, built from the ground up around a lower power i5 processor, with custom tuning of Windows 10, drivers, and dlls to match, would look like?

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@Marty , too soon I think. I do know that they think they underestimated demand for the core m version in their customer base but that it could also be first wave pent up demand that will quickly subside. I'll ask again in month or so

Marty likes this.
  5. cmergel

cmergel IT Mgr. / DBA by trade.

How is the writing\inking? Anybody use the OneNote 2016 Desktop version? Any of the fish hooks like previous gen? Can you tell any improvement with the PixelSense Display?

lovelaptops, JoeS and nannlp like this.
  6. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

how difficult is it to make a MS GO 2 with i7 10th gen processor, 16gb RAM, 1TB SSD , 2 usb-c port and a slightly bigger battery keeping the same form factor. Price it at USD 1200ish and get rid of all the pros ??? like just have the one ultimate Surface Go Pro....

7. cmergel

cmergel IT Mgr. / DBA by trade.

I know, take my money now....

nannlp likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Easy to make, almost impossible to unmelt after first use :D

9. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

i dint get it , there is one mix 3 pro with same configuration but too small a form factor.
    i am not a engineer or electronic person. so you mean to say the heat generated will be too much?

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Honestly it would probably fine, it would just throttle super heavily and I suspect the performance wouldn't suddenly be amazing without major cooling innovations.

Tams, nnthemperor and nannlp like this.