Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

All these years and I've never seen you give up once - this is a first.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The numbers were overwhelming.
    Also I’m probably getting old and tired.

nyb72, Bronsky, Tams and 1 other person like this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Was there rooting for you 'sis!

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Never

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does anyone here use the Windows handwriting panel to write math formulas? I am trying to write numbers subscript/superscript on my go2 but I cannot seem to get it to recognize that.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I am trying to write numbers subscript/superscript on my go2 but I cannot seem to get it to recognize that...>>

I'm not surprised. The reliable recognition of mathematical symbols is a very hard problem. I spent years helping xThink as an alpha and beta tester with their MathJournal application and, although it was generally OK, the number of erroneous recognitions was frustrating. Most recognizers and solvers that I am familiar with do OK for elementary arithmetic expressions, but start to fail quickly when the complexity of the expressions start to increase just a little bit (as in your case).

All of the purpose-written math solvers, which you would hope would be the best at reliable recognition, are "tweaky" in actual use, especially if you attempt to use complex expressions. Among the solvers that I am aware of, FluidMath is one of the better ones, but that's more because it has somewhat better error correction features than other solver apps. I've briefly experimented with the Windows TIP and with the math solver in Edge (although it may be the same app?) and they both exhibit similar difficulties in reliable math recognition.

If you are simply documenting math expressions (as opposed to trying to solve them) it's actually better to simply ink them...

7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, thanks, its purely for documentation but I want to copy it to other programs / reports (that support rich text like eg Word).
    I tried the Math Input panel in Windows 10 (the outdated looking one) which supports superscript but misses a copy button and no subscript.
    Also found this ink to math which works surprisingly well but only has copy text to Latex. FlowTeX preview beta kopen - Microsoft Store nl-NL

Edit: I noticed that in UWP apps if you write in a richeditbox you can select text with 2nd side pen button, than if the app somewhere has a button to subscript/superscript selected text this will work (though it is a bit quirky).
    FluidMath also work pretty well but I cannot find a copy button anyway(?).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021