Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

An average Go owner according to Microcsoft!

[​IMG]

I wuv my wittle Go.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

"Mommy! I got to gooooooo!!!!"

dellaster, dceggert, Steve S and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronsky

That is the best.:vbtongue:

Bishop likes this.
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey now, *my* 9 year old and 7 year old are using hand-me-down thinkpads. Also iPads with the logitech crayon. I've thought about moving them to the Surface Go, but we rely on too many iPad apps that just don't have a windows equivalent.

JoeS, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  5. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, the liliputing article does mention pen support (albeit with a little typo on stylus):

"There’s also support for pen input for writing or drawing with a pressure-sensitive style."

Bishop likes this.
  6. kitenski

kitenski Pen Pal - Newbie

Afternoon all,

I've got an 10.5 iPad pro with keyboard that I mostly use as a secondary device, taking meeting notes or as a travelling device to my work locked down laptop for watching movies etc whilst on the train home!

I'm wondering about selling it whilst it still has some value and considering picking up an m3 Surface Go 2 (cheaper than the Go 3 and available on the 2nd hand market).

Big question for me is around battery life and pen usage in OneNote.

If I don't switch the Go2 on for a few days, does it drain battery? I seem to recall I had a Go 1 that had this issue, ie I'd grab it to travel and realise the battery had drained.

Secondly how is the pen support compared to the Apple Pencil 1? I assume no where to store any pen in/on the Go2? at all? I think OneNote on Windows will do handwriting recognition which isn't supported on the iPad and a big draw for me.

Anything else to compare would be great! I'm already working on the assumption that the keyboard will be better.

regards,

Greg

*edit to change i3 to m3*

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Hello Greg,

The Go2 is an M3, not the I3. If you shut down the Go2 instead of sleeping it, the battery remains charged, losing very little. While you can't store a pen in the Go2, it does attach magnetically. It is not rechargable but the battery usually lasts me nearly a year. I have purchased a Maroo case for the Go, which has a pocket for the pen, to which I add a clip to keep it in place in the pocket. It is a perfect set-up and I always have the pen handy that way.
    [​IMG]

I find the pen to be adequate but would probably rate it under the Apple Pen. Even at that, however, they are close. I believe that the Go2 motherboard does have a controller chip that enhances pen performance, like the Pro series, but I have not taken the time to confirm that. Maybe the new pen will feel better. I use the pen for note taking and annotation. I think an Artist might give you a more critical review.

The Keyboard is far better than the Apple cover/case. It's even better than some of the clamshell cases for the IPad and far lighter.

My battery life is in the 5 hour range, but I have an LTE model and tend to work with the screen at 75-100% brightness, which drains the battery a lot faster than those being operated at lower levels.

I think the Go2 is a nearly perfect portable device. With the addition of the M3, it is powerful enough to refrain from upgrading every new update cycle of the tablet like owners had to do with the Surface 3 and Go1. I've already had mine for a year and a half and it doesn't feel like it is even starting to approach obsolesence.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, it does lose a bit but slow, you can use hibernate to almost completely nullify the loss (the default behaviour for sleep/hibernate can be changed if you search in Windows for 'Change what closing the lid does'.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

As for pen battery the Settings —> Devices screen will show you the battery status in the pen so it is easy to figure out when it is time to purchase another battery. They aren’t exactly available anywhere.

nnthemperor, Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

For the brave, you can always harvest 6 of them from a 9v battery...

Personally I prefer Amazon for $5

dceggert, nnthemperor, nyb72 and 2 others like this.