Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

As Fold 3 owners...at our retail price we need to walk softly in this argument and focus on TCO of one device versus two...

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This is the first real competitor for the Go series I've seen in quite awhile. HP 11" Tablet has a 13MP camera that rotates to face front or back - Liliputing I see that intel is still trying with its Tremont CPU. The N6000 Pentium doesn't look all that bad.

Intel Core m3-8100Y vs. Intel Pentium Silver N6000 - Benchmark, Test and Specs (cpu-monkey.com)

Why not the top of the Tremont line at least? This tablet really needs to be offered wtih an I3 or, better yet, a fanless I5 option. I could do without the quirky camera but it would not prevent me from buying one. Hopefully, HP doesn't take this model off the shelf when the Pentium power causes it to be a fail.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  3. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

@Bronsky - Looks like you linked the CPU comparison twice and omitted the HP device link.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Thanks. Fixed.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Really looks interesting but PLEASE HP, this is 2021 - NO MORE 4GB WINDOWS DEVICES!

6. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

It's an intriguing alternative to the SG3 since MS did a minimal upgrade on it. Yeah, 4GB is dumb. But my SG2 is okay with that much, for my purposes. Designing it with a decent camera for video conferences is smart nowadays.

7. Bronsky

Yea. I saw that too. The device needs a higher power/RAM option. I3 - 10nm, and 12GB? What I really like are the pogo pins on the side so you have a direct contact KB on all orientations.

daddyfish likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

In my mind, this has the processor the Surface Go 3 should have had. (Also, the screen too which is far and away better and would have put it on more equal footing with the iPad that is supposed to be competing with. That 4GB RAM capacity is a major misstep, though. Maybe they will offer an 8GB SKU?) It would have been kept up with Go 3's selected processors in single-core performance and blown past them in multicore performance. Honestly, it looks like Microsoft just did the quick and easy drop-in upgrade with perhaps the reasoning also to keep a wide enough distance in performance from the Core i3 model Surface Pro. (Panos Panay: "Guys, we can make it faster, just not too fast else we risk cannibalizing our Surface Pro sales.") Possibly another reason too: the Pentium Silver N6000 would have required a totally redesigned motherboard since it uses a totally different pin layout (FCBGA1338 versus FCBGA1515) and it has a slightly different thermal profile (6W TDP versus 5W).

dellaster likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow, even just looking at it's design, it kind of reminds me of the HP Slate 500. Love the Webcam and how it can accommodate either orientation, but 4GB of ram in 2021 should be criminal.

10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hopefully the larger camera assembly means that it's actually decent. Losing a camera isn't great though. 4GB of RAM isn't great either. Sure, 4GB is certainly useable, but to have video chats and do stuff at the same time is really pushing it (especially if you monstrous Electron apps like Teams or Discord). And that processor... yikes.

Oddly they don't seem to have cheaped out on the storage; it's NVMe...

Other than that it looks fantastic! The dual pogo pins are a great idea. Stuff like that (such as dual USBC on the ASUS ROG Phones) almost never gets implemented; presumably due to cost cutting.

Well, EMR... but we all know that horse has bolted.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021