Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was hoping I'd come here this morning seeing more that would counter what I experienced yesterday. Alas, I'm seeing something similar with mine. I've been re-running tests and trying to figure out of it's the tests that are broken/flawed or it's a hardware issue.

The ONLY tests that show significant improvements are the SSD including that enabling bit locker is much less of a hit (in the neighborhood of 8-10%, acceptable ) Other tests that are more processor related show equal or very slightly (3%) improvements over the original Go

I also agree that it appears to be thermal related as the tool we use appears to show that the older Go can get warmer (almost 30 degrees) before it gets throttled. I'm not sure it's a sensor issue per se, but more likely firmware issues. Again not fact, but speculation based on what I've seen.

So one potentially major side note to this. One of our Asia partners has heard that there is some potential weirdness related to the original surface dock and that they might not occur with the revised dock.

We have one of the new docks in our office which was being used to test out a couple of the new Surface Book 3's (which show a decent jump in performance BTW). I intend to go get the dock later today and re-run our tests. Thus I'm going to hold off on posting any real results until I get some moer confidence in them and/or we get out demo unit from MS vs the unit I purchased from Best Buy.

One other possibly spurious piece of information related to this is that I've heard 3rd hand that the review units were sent out with the revised dock.

So TLDR, stay tuned

JoeS likes this.
  2. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one!
    Update on my end... I hard shutdown the device and let it sit for a while; reinstalled windows again early in the morning here. I am now able to match windowscentral's Geekbench scores. The 3D application performance that was horrible in my video is now running appropriately.
    I'm not entirely sure what fixed it; but I will have to redo my performance comparison testing to the Surface Go 1.

When it was misbehaving; the TDP seemed to be stuck locked around 4 watts instead of allowing the boost state to ~8 watts.

3. desertlap

Very interesting especially the hard shut down. I know on the Surface Book 2 that a hard shutdown triggers a much more comprehensive POST test on subsequent reboot but I had thought it was restricted only to the Book 2 line. Perhaps they've expanded to the whole line ? Makes me want to go back and check our Pro 7 and surface laptop 3.

PS: I made mention that the display calibration wasn't that great out of the box. I shared that and have heard informally that MS will include a revised profile in a forthcoming patch.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

ORDERED! On the way.:thumbsup:

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I can’t argue with that. Honestly I just don’t want the burden. I should probably rip all my DVD’s and Blu Ray’s and store them on a NAS with something like Plex as a front end so I have convenient access at all times and I don’t have to worry about either the eventual demise of any one physical format or live in fear that my digital “purchases” can disappear from Movies Anywhere over a licensing dispute, etc. Again, I resent having this burden placed on me. But I will look into converting my Kindle stuff. If I can get a simple workflow going it might be worth it. The non-transferability of Kindle has held me back somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Marty - I may be making a big shift in my iPad usage - never got my iPM5 sold, so I am seriously considering selling the iPP11 IF I keep the SG2. That leads to your second question. If I convince myself the SG2 can be my full time computer (desktop and travel) then I pair it up with the iPM5 for my reading and gaming fun. If not, I'll keep the iPP11 as the companion for the x360 and dump the other two. Right now the jury is still out, because I LOVE the freedom of a 1TB SSD, the OLED experience, the perfect lappability of a laptop in the x360 mold, and nothing has choked it's i7 with 16gb RAM (that, and compared to the SG2, it is future proofed for some time to come).

@Bronsky - Congratulations! Having followed the success you have had with the SG1, I have to believe you will marvel at the improvements in the SG2. This is closer than ever to the HP Slate 500 successor we dreamed of so long ago.

As I wrote all this, I just imagined HP releasing the Spectre Folio 2 in an 8-10" format more like a leather moleskin with improved internals - then what do I do?

7. desertlap

More importantly while this highly self selecting group might go to the effort to do something like that, 98% of the world will just go "well that sucks" and move on to something else.

And yes I do think MS should shoulder significant blame here. It's utterly embarrassing that MS had a huge time lead and continues to have enormous resources in the tablet PC space and yet Apple is already way ahead of them in the tablet experience.

Possibly the OEMs are more difficult than I understand and Jobs had a point about owning the whole widget.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. dstrauss

@Chris_Kez and @desertlap: Amazon, Apple, Google, and Microsoft have done everything they could to protect their respective profit margins with different levels of application and hardware proprietary development so they all share blame. How could Google break Amazon's DRM to read Kindle books; Microsoft horn in on Apple News+; Apple's store configuration making you have to buy Kindle books and Prime videos through the browser so you could watch them on iPad. As a judge would say there are no "clean hands" here among thieves. This also leads to your conclusion that "98% of the world will just go "well that sucks" and move on to something else."

If MS really understood marketing, they would push the SG2 as the tablet for "most of us" because it can do 80% or more of your general computing needs, can watch all of the major video content providers, and then you (the consumer) have to decide if you need a complimentary Apple, Amazon, or Google device.

OR - as I suggested elsewhere - MS should harness a fully containerized version of Android in a window that runs in Windows 10 (much like Parallels runs a fully virtualized Windows environment on the MacOS desktop) so you could at least run ANY Android App or content...

And that segues to my final observation I should have made in Update 3 above [Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)]- it's Apps vs Applications. I know, Word et al are very well feature in iOS, but they are still Apps and not Applications, and THAT'S what makes SG2 so attractive. What is the difference:
    • Apps work hard to be laser focused on a primary objective in a single window environment
    • Applications are the Swiss Army knife you bought with 12 of 32 blades you never open but feel comfortable because you have them if ever needed

nnthemperor, Chris_Kez and daddyfish like this.
  9. desertlap

@dstrauss It isn't about breaking DRM as it is about both embracing and championing open standards such as EPUB and licensing where you can't . Remember the old "embrace, extend, extinguish" Well maybe now they just drop the last part.

And BTW, I'd even be on board for a custom MS produced HyperV container for android like they do already for a couple of Linux distros

nnthemperor, Marty and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

@Bronsky (and any others looking at anecdotal performance) - I opened six Word docs ranging from 5 to 293 pages from our server and performance is just as good as the x360. Fast scrolling and searching, switching between four different documents on my two QHD monitors with no lag or waiting (Outlook, OneNote, and four Chrome tabs open at the same time).

nnthemperor, Bronsky and JoeS like this.