Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Verizon $65 unlimited plan does not have Hotspot capability. You have to add it. I did have it before I changed my plan but LTE feels faster and more seamless. But, point well taken.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I almost forget those plans exist since they’re useless for my needs. :p

So many variables for speed: the device’s firmware & radio, cell provider’s prioritization for hotspot, user perception as the speed fluctuates by the second: was the hotspot measured during a slow period? Etc. Anyway, here’s an interesting write up about data priority among the Big Three carriers (US):

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract..._prioritization_policies_of_the_carriers_and/

dstrauss, desertlap and Bronsky like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's actually one of the better reddit articles I've seen generally
    It's interesting that I would say that the vast majority of users have no idea that carriers prioritize some customers over others and that is definitely the downside of MVNO's versus primary carriers.

Unfortunately it's Android or IOS only, but an app called LTE Discovery can provide all kinds of useful/ interesting information about your cellular connection.

I used it just last week to demonstrate to a customer why she probably didn't want to switch her employees to boost mobile versus T-Mobile especially in urban areas. In downtown LA, with two otherwise identical Pixel phones, one with a T-Mobile sim/plan and the other with Boost, the download and upload speed were nearly half on Boost what they were on T-Mobile and latency was an order of magnitude worse.

And FWIW AT&T generally deprioritizes Data only connections versus regular voice and data plans.

nnthemperor, Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Anecdotal at best, but my informal tests with the iPad Air 4 and SG2 showed significant speed performance with their LTE modems than if I shut them off and tether. On AT&T, however, my cell phone did better than either (generally). I didn't keep logs (should have) but in Colorado Springs, where I was getting download speeds of 12-15mbps on my iPhone 11 Pro, I'd get 4-5 on tethering and 7-9 on their LTE modems. Up in Cripple Creek (but I think I could see the tower on a nearby hill) I was getting 10-13mbps on the LTE modems and 6-7 tethering.

Now granted, Colorado is SOLIDLY a Verizon state (AT&T is a weak sister); and here's the weird part - upload speeds were ALWAYS faster than download...

Despite these results, I've bought a s 256gb WiFi only iPad to hold me over until this fall's (hopeful) release of new hardware with Windows 11. Tethering to an iPhone is nearly automatic, so I don't have to think about starting the hotspot, so it saved me $200 upcharge for the 5g modem and $24/month service fee (taxes included).

5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

BTW: Speaking more broadly, built in LTE/5G is on average about 15-20% slower in tablets than phones. That's solely down to the vast majority of OEMS essentially sticking phone hardware in a tablet/laptop and calling it a day.

The sole exception we have found is Apple with their iPads and even they draw a line. eg. the Air and the Pros have optimized cellular hardware and the standard iPads dont.

PS: Samsung's Galaxy Book 2 still holds the top spot in our LTE tests, but as a near as we can tell it's just an accident of the Book's designs as it uses the same radio and antennas as the galaxy phones.

PPS: The Go 2 is highly directional as to LTE performance. eg. rotating the device 30 degrees can make as much as a 50% difference in signal strength.

dstrauss, Marty and dellaster like this.
  6. Jeff_in_Abq

Jeff_in_Abq Pen Pal - Newbie

LOL - Dex, my friends - can get you through a power outage too...

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wow - never thought about that. I was holding it wrong!

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

but doesn’t DEX still run android?

9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, I think he refers to using DEX purely for the online things such as browsing and the rest you can do offline in Windows (considering you can have DEX open as a window & copy paste stuff between DEX and Window's windows if needed).

10. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

@dstrauss @dellaster @Tams @daddyfish sorry for late reply and thanks a lot for the battery-related tips.

After applying most thing sans undervolting and battery saver (I need mail notification), I managed to get 5-6 hours battery life cap.

I found out reducing refresh rate to 48Hz and nerfing Intel Wifi performance setting (doesn't affect me, my AP sits quite close) on top of the usual battery saving practices help quite a bit.

This makes using SGO to be manageable for full working day + 30 mins charging on lunch break.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    dstrauss, dellaster and daddyfish like this.