Surface Go 2 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

I see, I thought they are putting malicious ads on the actual desktop web browser.

Yeah loans 'fintech' is awful, predatory or not. they exploit financial AND tech illiteracy at the same time. Shame on Opera for entering this kind of business

OTOH if you heard about this Hindenburg organization, it's literally their business model to expose fraud and short sell stocks. I remember the Tesla truck company case. So, I wouldn't trust them fully also.

Back to the actual tech discussion: Opera feels more lightweight/faster, but I feel the interface is not so well optimized for touch (small menu).

I think Edge is still overall the best for tablets, the pen annotation and accurate on-screen keyboard detection are subtle features, but makes the browser really usable.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    nnthemperor and daddyfish like this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Eh, short-sellers probably want reliable information. That they themselves had shorts of Opera's stock means they were willing to put their money where their mouth is, even though they stood to make money.

I'm on Edge too. I still feel like the old Edge ran better, but the Chrome extensions are nice.

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Edge here, too. Yes, in Linux. Edge Beta for Debian/Ubuntu-based distributions works surprisingly well and syncs with other devices if I sign into my account.
    9631425C-4758-4CC3-B2BB-6D06E64C55B7.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  4. RazzNuts

What kind of basphemy have you done here? MS Browser on Linux Desktop??

Brb installing it on my Fedora. Switching to Chromium does carry some extra benefits other than Chrome extension, huh?

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  5. RazzNuts

So, guys... How do you get better battery life from your SGO2?

I'm not happy with the number for the usage that I consider lightweight: Tablet mode, 20% brightness, jotting in OneNote/MS Whiteboard, and reading PDFs text file.
    I got like 4 hours of SOT, 5 hours tops.

I can easily push 6-7 hours with SP7, but then again, SP7 battery is larger and it has 10nm processor.
    Probably I can squeeze extra 30-45 min with power saving mode, but that's it.

Is this just SGO2 hardware limitation?

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. dellaster

@RazzNuts - Battery endurance is the SG2’s Achille’s heel. I only do really well, like ten hours, if watching videos (TV, movies, on VLC or similar, not YouTube in a browser).

RazzNuts likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@RazzNuts - it's a small battery and you're not going to get near the "rated" life except as @dellaster points out with video viewing, and even then I want a lot more than 150 nits brightness. I do get between 5-6 hours on this one if I keep it at 50% brightness or less. You have to remember those super numbers on the iPad Pro and Air 4 are with Apple's customized software for their processor - when I used Office hard on my former iPad Air 4 battery life dropped significantly.

RazzNuts, Bishop and dellaster like this.
  8. dellaster

@dstrauss - It’s usually nighttime when I watch movies so the screen is fairly dim. That said, I most often watch stuff on my iPad mini 5 and never worry about battery life.

nnthemperor, Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Those are actually some moderately intensive tasks. You're making the system update a lot and it's random so the CPU can't just preload it all and go like a video.

Have you got pressure sensitivity enabled in OneNote? That can use quite a few resources.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Great tip - and here's another reason - if you have to export your notes to a PDF to share or store, the files are enormous if you have pressure on. I know that takes some fun out of artistic handwriting, but as real resource hog.